Mount Saunders in the Pemi?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamp

Reaction score
On the USGS Mount Washington Quad, about a mile south-south east of Duck Pond Mountain (near Nancy Pond) is listed a Mount Saunders. It shows up along a ridgeline with no apparent prominent peak.Neither the AMC maps nor the Map Adventure map make any mention of it. Has anyone come across any info about this (and would there be a cannister there)?

On my map it shows the peak at 3150. You could bushwhack the peak by following the halfway brook from 302.

Swampy, you're always interested in unusual peaks! Saunders isn't on the NE3000 lists I have (I suspect col depth is insufficient from Duck Pond Mtn), and I can't think of any other "major" lists it'd be on.

I've noted the name on maps, but not come across any other info on it.

Hey El-Bagr,
That's me, the Defender of the Unappreciated Peak!!!:) I think this weekend I'm going to make a run at the cluster of 3K's around Nancy Pond (weather permitting). If I have time I'm gonna check out Saunders just because,well,now I have to....If I survive I'll leave a full report.

If there are any other cartographic geeks out there, Mt. Saunders does show on the National Geographic Franconia Notch/Lincoln Topo.

el-bagr said:
Saunders isn't on the NE3000 lists I have (I suspect col depth is insufficient from Duck Pond Mtn), and I can't think of any other "major" lists it'd be on.
Are you implying that NH-LPNP isn't a major list?!!! I'm deeply hurt. But you're right -- not enough col depth (or not too much in the case of LPNP). In fact, Duck Pond Mountain is also a LPNP. It has slightly less than 200' col connecting it to Mt. Anderson and is not on the 3000' list (at least not the old and outdated list I have).

Swamp, sounds like a fun hike. Enjoy!

stopher said:
In fact, Duck Pond Mountain is also a LPNP. It has slightly less than 200' col connecting it to Mt. Anderson and is not on the 3000' list (at least not the old and outdated list I have).
You need an older and more outdated list :) Duck Pond was on the original NH 3K list made from 15' quads, and I climbed it when it counted.

I've also climbed Saunders as it is a named peak, or at least I think I have, the hard part with no-prominence bumps is finding the summit. I think we went up from Sawyer River Road and the woods were so-so.