MSR Lightning problems

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Hi!
Well, I've used my lightnings a bit more and I'm seriously doubting their reliability under heavy use. The floatation fabric (not quite sure what else to call it) has started tearing at 2 places on EACH snowshoe. One of the rubber strap clip has broken on my right snowshoes...keep in mind that I am at a normal weight, 200lbs and I didn't do anything special or particularly tough to the snowshoes (I did go on bare rocks a couple of times, and they are slightly scratched, but I accept that and in no way do I blame MSR for the fact that the snowshoes scratched, I considerer this normal use in the Adirondacks). I have only used my snowshoes 3 times so far since I purchased them (bought them slightly before Christmas).

I have sent an email to MSR to find out what the deal is, however I haven't heard back from them yet. It's been close to 4 days now since I wrote to them. I am getting ready to plan a 4 day outing in the Monts-Valins (Quebec) which is reknown for their quantity of snow,...I wouldn't want to be left out dry so close to my trip.

Here are some pics of the snowshoes:
Snowshoes

Has anyone else experienced such problems? Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Thanks!

Fish

MSR has a good reputation for customer service. I took a bad fall in my Denalis a couple of years ago and broke a strap. I contacted MSR with the intention of buying a replacement strap, since I did not consider the part to be defective. They replaced it promptly and at no charge (along with a couple extras).

After four days, I would be thinking that maybe the email fell in a crack, and pick up the phone.

I broke one of the clips on my Evo Ascents in December. I called MSR and they mailed be a handful of them at no charge. Got the package about a week after I called.

I never email when I'm in a hurry, I prefer to talk to a human, and this is coming from a computer programmer.

-Shayne

Self Repair

Part of snowshoeing is wear and tear and then be able to repair. Whatever the brand or model of shoe you are using be prepared off and especially on the trail to make repairs to your shoe, even if it is only enough to get your butt out of the woods. Always ask yourself what if;which goes beyond just snowshoes but all other pieces of gear.

I agree with giving them a call. They have also sent me parts for free. The little black plastic clip doesn't do much anyway and the ripping that you show won't disable the shoe for a while. I have used the Denali model with lots of rips/tears and they worked fine. I finally replaced the bindings. My new shoes have the clips but they didn't used to come with them.

HI All!
Thanks for your input! I did give MSR a call yesterday. Spoke to a very friendly guy there. Seemed a bit hesistant to give a final verdict, he originally thought the boot's sole were the caused the tearing, but he did point out that my size 9.5 Koflach Vertical boots were boots that the snowshoes were tested with (although bigger size, #13).

He did give me a Return Auth Number, however because I have an outing coming up, he suggested I go on the outing and send them afterwards. Otherwise, it would of been cutting it too close.

Fish

Which length do you have?

I'm curious whether you are on the 25 inch or 30 inch model.

I have the 25 inch Lightning Ascents, which seem to tolerate my disrespect for their load rating (me + winter clothing + winter pack >(!) load rating rating of 225 lbs). I was pleased to see the 30 inch Lightnings come out this year, which is probably what I should be using, but I had that unavoidable buying impulse in December '04.

whitelief said:
I'm curious whether you are on the 25 inch or 30 inch model.

I have the 25 inch Lightning Ascents, which seem to tolerate my disrespect for their load rating (me + winter clothing + winter pack >(!) load rating rating of 225 lbs). I was pleased to see the 30 inch Lightnings come out this year, which is probably what I should be using, but I had that unavoidable buying impulse in December '04.

Hi whilelief,
I'm using the Lightning (non-Ascents) 25".

Fish