Mt Adams Tower & Trail update

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Here is an update on the Mt Adams tower and trail. Kris Alberga, Supervising Forester is replying to an email on the 46er listserv which is complimenting the recent work done on Mt Adams. I have posted the original and Kris' reply.
BRAVO to all who supported this cause with letters and email to DEC, Parks and Recreation and ADK.
Special thanks also goes to Neil Woodworth, ADK Executive Director who skillfully negotiated a compromise that allowed the tower and trail to remain, and managed to avoid some of the political leg-traps associated with this decision.

Emails to follow:

Through our ongoing partnership with the Adirondack Student
Conservation Association (SCA) program we were fortunate to have a crew for two weeks to work on the tower and trail. Most of the trail was cut out and the worst of the steps/landings were replaced. We are hopeful that the remainder of the structure will be rehabilitated either this fall or next spring.

The tower and trail remain on private lands (Open Space Institute) as the property has not transferred to the State yet, however OSI has allowed access to much of the property which will eventually come to the State as Forest Preserve, including the trail to Mt. Adams and the summit itself.

I'll be sure to forward your note of thanks to the SCA crew.

---
Kristofer A. Alberga, Supervising Forester
NYS, Dep't of Environmental Conservation
Division of Lands & Forests, Region 5
1115 NYS Route 86
PO Box 296
Ray Brook, NY 12977

(518) 897-1276
(518) 897-1370 FAX
[email protected]

Letter to 46er listserv follows:
On a hike two days ago, I was delighted to see that someone/group has chainsawed the trail up Adams, put up new trail markers, and replaced 1/3 of the stairs leading up the tower. There is a CYA sign at the bottom of the stairs about the firetower being closed to the public, but it is otherwise easy (if a giddy experience) to climb up to and stand in the tower. What a panorama.
Good job! whoever did it!

Pete, on the page of your website with the 1997 Adams photos, perhaps it would be more accurate to now state: "These views have recently been restored."
The trail is in pretty good shape. The lower half is lovely, and the
upper half is eroded in a few spots.

this is a great trail and the views from the tower make every step up the mountain worthwhile. there isn't any fencing on any of the tower landings but the handrails, etc., are all there. we were able to go into the tower cab, even though it's missing part of its roof and some windows are missing. even if you can't get into the cab, there are awesome views from every landing and step. quite a panorama indeed!

there was a family of four at the tower when we arrived and there was plenty of room for all of to savor the views from the tower. we ate our lunch on one of the lower (and larger) landings.

This is GREAT news! Adams has been added to my "to-do list" since I saw it from a distance earlier this season. I'm glad the firetower will still be there when I do go!

Bravo!!!

Yes, very good news for one of the gems of the High Peaks area.

If you read Kris' note you'll notice "Forest Preserve" as the designation for the land around Mount Adams trail and tower, which was the key to making this happen so easily.

Excellent work to those who were able to push this dual classfication forward which in the end will bring the best of both worlds to hikers of all levels and experience at the southern gateway of the High Peaks region.

Can't wait to get back up there and see the new work.

Great news to hear that the Mt. Adams tower is back on track. My first visit there was in 1992 when the trail was hard to follow, and the tower was a rusting hulk with several steps missing. One thing I came away with was memories of some of the finest views in the ADKS! I look forward to a return climb up the restored trail and tower.