Mt Cube Kodak Trail...Kodak Moments

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
Sunset on the way Back
1053054906_xpU6s-L.jpg

The pic from above was prob my favorite shot from the day, so that means I had to wait all day to get it. It just reminds me that the best times to hike these peaks are when the light is lower. Anyways

My friend and Casey and I hiked Mt Cube via the Kodak trail Sunday, and we were treated to many Kodak moments, from the Eastman Ledges all the way up to the summit and beyond. I visited the north summit for the first time, and in my opinion has the best vistas on that peak. On the other side of this, I was battling dehydration the entire hike, so that definitely got in the way. Muscles were cramping up just before I summited, and reached an all time high on the way down. So I wasn't able to fully enjoy the woods to the top, or on the way down, but there is always next time, right?

Trail conditions were wet and muddy. The rocks were quite slick, especially after we had a downpour, mixed with some sleet and snow as we got towards 2500 feet. Thankfully we were still heading up at that point, and not sliding down the rocks. I also saw my first teeny patches of snow, something quite exciting to me! Anyways, here come the pics.

Off we go..mileage to summit is def incorrect, I estimate closer to 3 miles
1053047044_bjnpZ-L.jpg

Jacobs brook was RUNNING yesterday, and you could hear it roar across the mtns
1053046834_UQa2R-L.jpg

My fav time of year to hike in the hardwoods...its past peak, but the lower parts of trees still have the golden leaves.
1053047277_LNRX3-L.jpg

Same vantage point as the first pic, just earlier in the day. Interesting to compare...
1053047973_CFgN4-L.jpg

Casey with wet trail
1053048478_iDCm5-L.jpg

High, but fairly easy brook crossing, considering. It was harder on the way back, due to the angle of the rock steps
1053048615_tRoNA-L.jpg

We decided to eat lunch at Hexacuba Shelter, the only 6 sided shelter I've ever seen.
1053048985_et8BK-M.jpg

Complete with a Penta privy....the only 5 sided pooper I've ever seen. I find it unsettling that this is above the shelter, next to a stream.
1053049239_aT4mE-L.jpg

Off we went, and I was getting real dehydrated at this point. Such is life with medications that drop the salt level. I was bleary eyed and tried, but one foot in front of the other right? I guess I'm going to take more of those power gels, they seemed to work on other hikes.

Next ledges: I came to mentally, to get a couple interesting crepuscular ray shots.
1053049831_WJQep-L.jpg

1053049992_onUwg-L.jpg

Back into the woods....first snow! Not much, but that def brought me back from the mental and physical anguish haha.
1053050573_aabyw-L.jpg

cont in a minute

part 2, onward to the top

At the top now, I always liked the viewpoint down to Sunday Mtn
1053050691_sH4dN-L.jpg

and now over to the north summit, new ground for me

1053050996_f6wwc-L.jpg

The lighting was interesting during the afternoon. I think after we had our mixed rain shower, the cold front moved thru, because the temp dropped, the wind picked up, and the clouds slowly began to break up.
1053051421_xXWPY-L.jpg

Rt 25A
1053051582_dV6qv-L.jpg

Lower Baker Pond
1053051665_ZyFx2-L.jpg

1053052326_37dAD-L.jpg

Fellow Hikers and dramatic clouds
1053052192_Y4bS6-L.jpg

Lakes Armington and Tarleton, always will be favs of mine cause of summer camps I worked at there.
1053053040_ETZ7s-L.jpg

Dogs loves views too. A 4 month old named Lucy
1053053943_7yqsp-L.jpg

Now on our way back, the lighting getting more interesting....
1053053992_sUHcV-L.jpg

And now admiring sunset from the eastman ledges
1053054263_dFebb-L.jpg

1053054678_5w6QJ-L.jpg

At the bottom, we got back to the dirt road just as it was getting completely dark, and we heard an ATV with hunters heading out for the day, a married couple who had access to the gates. We got down to where they parked, and offered us a ride back to the bar, cutting off almost a 1/2 mile. How amazing was that? Pretty amazing I tell you, my cramping leg muscles thanked them!

It was a great hike, despite the darn dehydration. I hope you liked the pictures...lots of interesting light, that's for sure.

http://grouseking.smugmug.com/New-H...e-via-Eastman/14246935_Bmffm#1053046757_AgdPQ

grouseking

Question, any chance you can identify the two ski areas west of Cube that you see in the distance from the summit?

Phil, thanks for another enjoyable report, chocked full of terrific photos!

I've read somewhere that near the SW base of Mt. Cube is an abandoned settlement called "Quinttown", and that it can be accessed by a gravel road off Route 25A. I've never been there, and that's all I know. But I thought I'd mention it in case you're ever in the mood to search out some specifics regarding the location, and then go do some exploring!

Question, any chance you can identify the two ski areas west of Cube that you see in the distance from the summit?

Hmm, well Killington is SW of Cube, and I got a blurry pic of it...below.

1053048036_a6Tf4-M.jpg

West of the summit? You can prob see Mt Ellen and Abraham, but I dont know the name of those ski resorts. Is it Sugarbush?? Also, from the summit, you can see Dartmouth Skiway on the Holts Ledge peak. It was too dark to get a good pic with the slopes.

Also, you can prob see Okemo, which is also somewhat SW of the summit. And there is a great view of Ascutney from the peak, though I havent been able to see the slopes. I think they might be on the other side of the mtn.

Phil
You have captured the fall foilage season to the max. Especially, the shots looking up to the treetops.

Donna:)

Thanks very much Donna! Enjoy your time in the whites this weekend! You are coming up, right?

Awesome!! We are always well off the trail by sunset so just don't get these really beauties!

Thanks for sharing.

So am I , normally. I think it is time for me to do sunset hikes. That shall be my new love. :)

Phil, thanks for another enjoyable report, chocked full of terrific photos!

I've read somewhere that near the SW base of Mt. Cube is an abandoned settlement called "Quinttown", and that it can be accessed by a gravel road off Route 25A. I've never been there, and that's all I know. But I thought I'd mention it in case you're ever in the mood to search out some specifics regarding the location, and then go do some exploring!

I've heard of this abandoned settlement, but haven't explored...yet. The road we drove up, was called Quintown road, that turned into a fairly well graded woods road, seen below. I don't know how much further this road goes, but I was def curious. Perhaps this is the gravel road....
1053046757_AgdPQ-M.jpg

Also, there was a definite "road" class 6 I think, next to the crossing of Jacobs Brook about 3/4 of a mile from the trailhead. You can kind of see the road to the right of the stream.
1053048745_BUXkA-M.jpg

I wonder where that goes. I guess it is time for some satellite views. :)

grouseking