Mt Greylock and Alligator Eggs 04/02/2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugan

Reaction score
I am not sure of the route since I was not navigating for this trip. In looking at the map now, I'm guessing: Northrup to AT to - was it Bellows Pipe?

Particpants: Dugan, Jade with Carmen, Rocksnrolls, SilentCal - Lattinhill with Maya and friend joined us for the descent from the summit.

I hooked up with Jade & Rocksnrolls on route 2 east of North Adams. We convoyed out to the Bellows Falls trailhead where we met up with SilentCal. We decided to use Jade's pick up truck to ferry south to begin our hike. Somehow, Rocksnrolls, SilentCal, and I squished and squeezed into the backseat, while Jade drove and Carmen rode with the entire passenger seat to herself.

We reached the Visitor Center, checked out the bathrooms and some maps. A staff member was very helpful with information about the three Taconic trails - though somewhat unwilling to part with park maps. We geared up and headed off down the trail with Carmen in the lead.

The first hill warmed us up and got us blowing. We took our first break near the top to adjust layers while Jade instructed Rocksnrolls in the proper use of a hydration system. Suffice to say the humor descended to our usual low yet hilarious level. Despite our uphill trend, the humor went only downhill for the rest of the day.

We continued along, enjoying the woods. We reached a bridge that'd been sawn in half. It looked as though it was about to be rebuilt. It was very easy to hop the narrow streambed it'd formerly spanned. The sunshine and blue skies in the open areas below Jones Nose warmed us, while the light breezes kept us from getting too warm. The climb up Jones Nose was probably the steepest stretch of the day. Near the top was also our first sighting of... snow!

The ridge from the Nose to the summit was chilly, but very nice. The balsams scented the air. The numerous puncheons reminded us of the Ethan Pond area. We were passed by an Alligator Egg shouting - VFTT patch wearing hiker. He turned out to be none other than torn&frayed, who I met on my very first VFTT hike. We reached the radio tower where we met up with Lattinhill and Maya. Am I seeing double or is that two cute brown dogs? Lattinhill warned us to expect another group of VFTT'ers shortly.

We found them, made introdoctions all around, the quickly went over to the shelter of the shelter for yet another break. There were three in this group... Jay H, daxs (hope that's right?), and ? (sorry!). We exchanged our alligator eggs. Jade was disappointed that the eggs were not chocolate colored. This time of year, only bunnies lay chocolate eggs, I don't know if alligators have a holiday for that. We shared treats, compared maps, and got to know each other. Warning: be especially careful for dog paws in the shelter. There were some pieces of broken glass with sharp edges.

We slipped and slid on the bits of snow and ice remaining on the AT as we descended from the summit. We quickly reached our next intersection. We took another break to enjoy Lattinhill's friend's yummy homebaked ginger-chocolate chip cookies. We found our way down to the cars where we said goodbye to SilentCal. I re-rigged my car to allow passengers then we took off to Chopsticks in Williamstown for a yummy post hike meal, joined by Lattinhill and friend. The food was plentiful and good, and the service was good. We discussed hiking plans for next weekend (Glastonbury in VT anyone?) and said our goodbyes.

The trails we saw were mainly in good shape. The lack of snow pack means the mud isn't too bad for spring. There is some obvious trail work underway. There were some blow downs, but none that can't easily be gotten around. There were bits of snow and ice left, but nothing that required traction devices.

Nice TR, Dugan. I was ? w/ Jay H and Dax. No problem about the name-I'm having trouble remembering all the people we met as well, let alone the dogs. It seemed like everyone we saw had dogs that day. There were up to six in the Thunderbolt shelter when we first arrived!

Anyhow, this was my first hike up Greylock, and I enjoyed it quite a lot. I had been up there as a child, riding up in my dad's car, but I didn't really remember it very well. The views were great, the structures interesting, and the balsam was a pleasant surprise. After leaving the summit, we took the AT north over Fitch and went back down the Barnard (sp?) Farm Trail.

In addition to the lovely balsam, that part of the AT has some amazing quartz formations. In a couple of places we almost thought it was a pile of snow until we got closer. On closer inspection, it seemed as if these were actually good size chunks of bedrock w/ a few inches of quartz layered over it. I found the geology of the whole area interesting, since it's so different from the Catskills, which I know much better.

Matt

The trails we used included the Bush & Berry Tr (surprisingly steep), Northrup Tr, Jones Nose Tr and Bernard Farm for the descent (also surprisingly steep).

Really nice to encounter so many VFTTers from NY/NJ on the Mass highpoint - Mcorsar was the one Jade forgot the name of. It wasn't until after parting ways with their group that I was clued in that JayH was the guy organizing the Pound the Presis trip - wish I had realized that so we could have chatted about it!

Thanks for another great, fun hike! And lattinhill - we'll have to try to remember to have me check out your Hennessey Hammock next time :eek: ! Oh, and had your car aired out by the time you got home :p ?

I believe it was Bernards Farm, with an 'e', but yeah, I'm the "pound the presi" guy, just getting out for a weekend.

I have a bunch of pictures from our saturday's hike and sunday's hike to be uploaded tonight, but I'll start a separate thread for us. It was wonderful meeting all of you up there, this was really my first account of actually being able to use "Alligator Eggs" and it was fun. Jade, Sorry about the lack of Chocolate Eggs, chocolate usually doesn't last very long in my pack and I ate them all. I strangely was able to sift out the chocolate and alligator ones and eat the chocolate ones only. Although, how do we know that Alligators don't lay chocolate eggs at easter time???

Anybody know the history behind the airwreck on the bernard's farm trail? The greylock airport isn't that far away, might be mechanical problems on takeoff/landing?

I didn't see a number on it and it's in a lot of pieces.

Jay

That's the most VFTT'ers I've run into on a separate hike (met many on Escape the Escarpment)......Hey! It wasn't me who forgot Mscorsar's name--I even remembered his 'real' name! It was great to see everyone and because RocknRolls and I are getting in shape for Pound the Presis, it was especially motivating....
Jay, you're changing your stories on why there were no eggs to share...turns out we had plenty to eat anyway.....Dax, when I don't immediately recognize someone, I usually say "Oh, you look so much younger than I remember you" and you did....sorry.....

Next weekend it's the Taconics...who will we run into there??? :eek:

...Jade

I ate all the onesI budgeted for saturday on saturday (it turns out we didn't see anybody on saturday, as really expected on not such a nice day) and the ones I kept on sunday, rolled down the bellows pipe trail! Really!

For me to find the alligator eggs requires me to make a trek into the NYC sewers!

Jay

Dang it! I completely forgot to mention... I spotted some examples of what I think are garnet-bearing schist on the AT portion of our ascent.

MCorsar - apologies for the name - we saw the large formation of white rocks (quartz? quartzite? something else entirely?) and also thought it was a snow drift or ice!

Caution: Do not attempt to kick mounds of white that look like snow!

Dugan...I think the site rules call for no swear words in VFTT posts.... :D Also, perhaps you would like to share the proper use of a hydration bladder to our fellow hikers here.. :p

I found my 'fem clip'...it must have fallen out of my pack as I was leaving the house....

...Jade

I googled for info on that plane crash and could not find any. Does anyone know of a resource which lists planes crashes in a particular area? I would like to look up some of the history of the bombers that crashed on Mt. Tom and Mt. Holyoke in the 40's.

Truly a great day to be out in the woods. The weather gods must really like us. :rolleyes:

jade said:
Also, perhaps you would like to share the proper use of a hydration bladder to our fellow hikers here :p

Nope, that one is all yours, my bladder can't take it!

Glad you found your "femme clip" and anticipate you looking like your usual stylish self on our next hike.

sorry about that Jade, that's what I get for typing quickly in the morning after too little sleep :eek: and before the caffeine has kicked in. And I just noticed mcorsar had been replying to the thread at the same time!

with all the practice I've had you'd a thunk I wouldn't have needed Jade's instruction on how to use my bladder hose :rolleyes: