Mt. Marshall and Mt. Colden

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnhiker

Reaction score
I am planning a hike to Mt. Marshall and Mt. Colden and am considering 2 routes.

1. Upper Works to Herbert Brook trail to Marshall and down Herbert Brook trail, around the east side of Lake Colden to Mt. Colden and back out to Upper Works. I calculated 18.4 miles and 4500 feet ascent for this route.

2. ADK Loj to Lake Arnold to Mt. Colden, down to Lake Colden, over to Marshall via Herbert Brook Trail and out via Avalanche Pass. I calculated 18.1 miles and 4100 feet ascent for this route.

Both routes are pretty close distance and ascent wise. I’ve read that the ascent up Colden is more steep coming up the route from Lake Colden, I will be going down that route with either choice.

So, I’m looking for advice on which route is more scenic, easier/harder, more interesting, etc. to help me make my decision. Thanks.

mtnhiker said:
Both routes are pretty close distance and ascent wise. I’ve read that the ascent up Colden is more steep coming up the route from Lake Colden, I will be going down that route with either choice.

So, I’m looking for advice on which route is more scenic, easier/harder, more interesting, etc. to help me make my decision. Thanks.
The starts of each route do not offer much, (except both have views of Colden over water, interestingly enough), and the middle will be the same. So for views, you have Avalanche Pass vs the walk back to UW, and Avalanche Pass wins! :D

I agree with Tom, Avalanche Pass wins over the Upper Works approach. Here's a variation on option #2 you might consider. Iroquois Pass is the pass between Marshall and Iroquois. A trail goes through this pass, connecting the Indian Pass trail and the shore of Lake Colden. At the top of this pass is a herdpath to the summit of Marshall. It was easy to follow when I climbed it several years ago in September. In winter, I don't think it gets a lot of use, so you might have to do some real route-finding. You could go up Herbert Brook, then descend this herdpath to the top of Iroquois Pass, then take a right, and take the trail to Lake Colden, then take a left to Avalanche Pass. The Indian Pass side will also take you back to the Loj, but you'd miss Avalanche Pass.

I agree - Avalanche Pass wins!

Thanks for the suggestions. I took the advice and updated my route to ADK Loj to Avalanche Pass, up and down Marshall via Herbert Brook Trail, back to Lake Colden and up the Lake Colden side of Mt. Colden, down the Lake Arnold side and back to the Loj.

It was a nice route with great views the whole way along – I had not been through Avalanche Pass before and really enjoyed it.

Latest posts