Mt. Monadnock

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Early Bird

Reaction score
Hi All,
Weather permitting, I'm hoping to get out to Mt. Monadnock this Monday, Presidents' Day. I'm thinking the Pumpelly Trail would be a nice round trip route. Let me know if you might want to join. :)

Hi Millie

Thick ice up on the rocks and good depth of snow lower down- good conditions for full crampons.

Dublin got real nasty ice on Wed that loaded up on the trees, probably many downed and bent branches obscuring the trail, hopefully this weekends traffic will define the route correctly.

Snowbanks are high and out on the road so parking may be a problem on Lake Rd. Town keeps a wide spot plowed right at the junction with Snow Hill and Rte 101, so if the best parking is taken- this would be an option with a bit of roadwalk.

Andrew said:
Hi Millie

Thick ice up on the rocks and good depth of snow lower down- good conditions for full crampons.

Dublin got real nasty ice on Wed that loaded up on the trees, probably many downed and bent branches obscuring the trail, hopefully this weekends traffic will define the route correctly.

Snowbanks are high and out on the road so parking may be a problem on Lake Rd. Town keeps a wide spot plowed right at the junction with Snow Hill and Rte 101, so if the best parking is taken- this would be an option with a bit of roadwalk.

Great information, Andrew. I value it from you. My hiking partner for Monday and I both have full crampons (and snowshoes) which we plan to bring. Glad to hear about the parking. I think I recall this lower parking area option. Also, thanks to Steve for your helpful post- and for volunteering on the trails, as your name suggests.

Andrew said:
Dublin got real nasty ice on Wed that loaded up on the trees, probably many downed and bent branches obscuring the trail.

I have attached a few pictures from my jaunt up S. Pack. yesterday. Just a little bit of ice.

There may be some new freezing rain on Sunday night, followed by rain. Ugh!

Change?

A late change of plans: my Monadnock hiking partner is feeling under the weather and would rather not be in the weather tomorrow. I'm still heading out, but may end up somewhere I can go with my dog. PM if interested. I know it's very late notice and chances are slim...