Mt. Rainier Area Suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
Friend Brian is signing up to climb Mt. Rainier in mid-August. I'm going out there with him but do not have the $$$ to take the expedition. And besides, I haven't been training for that type of experience. (I hiked to the base of Disappointment Cleaver three years before with another group, RMI.) I'm considering my options for what to do while he is climbing. Any suggestions? Are there groups out there that offer group hikes such as the AMC does here, for example? I've given my name to SCA as a volunteer on trail cleanup but they may not need help from a middle-aged woman that late in the season.

Last edited:
there might be some hiking around rainier ;)

if not, you can always get sloshed drinking rainier beer at the lodge at paradise.

seriously, there are loads you can do. The wonderland trail goes around the base, there are many hiking trails around paradise, etc. mt st helens isn't too far (west coast not far, not east coast not far!). I think you need a permit for that now.

http://www.mount.rainier.national-park.com/hike.htm

Just find out which parts are open and stuff. Is the wonderland trail fully connected now?

As Guy mentioned, Mt St Helens is not terribly far and there are dayhikes and stuff to do around there... TMax and Daxs and I took a daytrip there after Mt Rainier and spent some leisurely trailrunner hikes to Harry's Lookout which was the closest you could get at the time.

Jay

Many parts of the park were affected by the rains there last fall. The Wonderland Trail is partially closed. You know, here in New England I don't think much about hiking alone. I've done day hikes alone but not overnights. I'm not savy enough to know if that is wise out there. I don't want to be foolish, nor overly cautious. And since I'll be on a tight budget, I don't want to drive away from the Rainier area and will be camping rather than in a hotel/motel, probably. I appreciate all suggestions...

Here are some summits I have done through the years and highly recommend:

Mt Rainier Area:
Shriner Peak, within NP on east side (Comparable to climbing something like Algonquin in difficulty)
Mt. Aix, east of the NP (Comparable to climbing something like Algonquin in difficulty)
Plummer Peak in NP south of Paradise (easy but worth the view)
There is a scramble peak on the other side of the col from Plummer whose name esacapes me, Castle peak or something like that. I could not figure out how to get up it but allegedly you can scarmable to its summit.

St. Helen's Definately recommended

North Cascades-
Hannegan Peak
Hidden lake Peak (possibly my favorite day hike ever)
Sourdough Mt. (5200' vertical but easy footing, I did not find it all that draining)

Olympic area:
Mt Townsend

All of the above are non technical hikes that I have enjoyed.

I recommend these books:
http://www.mountaineersbooks.org/productdetails.cfm?PC=307
http://www.mountaineersbooks.org/productdetails.cfm?PC=208

Have fun.

Ellen -

I just read an article about the clean-up progress around Rainier, and while things are improving, there is still major damage from last year's rains. August is still a ways off, so I'd keep an eye on the NP website for updates as the time gets closer. I like the other visitor center as well, over near the White River Campground, but IIRC, the road won't be open there this year due to the damage.

To answer your question about AMC-like groups - yes, their counterpart in Washington state is the famed Mountaineers, and they have local chapters, so maybe you can scout up something via the web. Oregon's counterpart is the Mazamas, which I mention here because that state isn't too far away. I had the pleasure of hooking up with the Olympia section of the Mountaineers the first time I did Adams, and climbed with them the last mile to the summit - a cloud bank had rolled in, but the leader was very familiar with the route, and he allowed me to join them.

What to do while Brian is on the mountain? Well, you could climb Mt St Helens . That mountain re-opened last summer, and I did it again in early September. A climbing permit is required, and unlike the 'old days', you can't show up at Jack's Store the night before and get an unclaimed reservation. The best option is to drive to the trailhead (Climber's Bivouac) the afternoon before, camp (it's free) and get an early start (about 7AM is recommended). You be down around mid-afternoon, and you can either camp another night or head back to Paradise. More info on Helens is
here.

Mt Adams is also a possibility, but it's another 2 or 3 hour drive from Rainier, and is usually done as a 2 day climb. It's in a remote area, so if you're doing it solo make sure your navigational skills are in good order.

And, if you haven't seen the many fine sections of the Columbia River Gorge, especially from the Oregon side, you can have a most enjoyable day at the many state parks along the way as you head East towards Hood River. And, don't forget to watch the wind surfers in Hood River - always a hoot - and drive back along the Washington side of the Columbia.

PM me if you'd like details on any of this.

Kevin

Lots of good suggestions here already.

Here's the Mountaineers website. You can search for group hikes there.

The WTA (Washington Trails Association) is also a great resource for led hikes, hike suggestions and up to date trail info. And I bet they'd love trail work help. Rainier, St Helens and many other hiking areas are suffering serious damage from the fall deluge and so many campgrounds and sections of popular trails are closed. I haven't been up that way lately but I'll be heading north (from Oregon) quite often this summer so I'll be a better source of info then. Feel free to PM me as the trip approaches.

You'll find the trails out here, for the most part, are super easy to follow, so hiking solo isn't a big deal. Leaving your car at the trailhead might be the most dangerous thing to do here :eek: :eek:

jessbee said:
You'll find the trails out here, for the most part, are super easy to follow, so hiking solo isn't a big deal. Leaving your car at the trailhead might be the most dangerous thing to do here :eek: :eek:

Agreed! At more remote trailheads, porcupines and marmots have a strong taste for anything edible under your vehicle's hood, such as hoses, wires, etc.