Mt St Helens Re-opened to Climbing 7/21/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Rooney

Reaction score
For those interested and in the area, climbing Mt St Helens has been re-opened. A little different permit system ($22) but the reservation itself is still redeemed at Jack's in Cougar for actual permit.

Kevin

Heard about this while we were out west, the rangers recommend to bring a dust mask to filter all the ash that is flying in the air up there. That and perhaps an asbestos suit. ;)

jay

AntlerPeak said:
Funny you should ask Chip. They are not letting anyone go down there.

Here is a link to a TR with a photo of a rock slide occurring on that rock.

Rock
Thanks for the link to the TR. I'm hoping to making it up there in a few weeks and if so will post some pictures and maybe a TR on Webshots. Have been there a few times before with lots of pictures into the crater so it will be interesting to see the changes.

As far as access to the crater itself - it's my understanding it's very difficult to get permission to approach the crater from the north side (the side with the gaping hole and where most of the current activity is occurring). I remember about 5 years ago listening to a rather vocal group of geologists/vulcanologists grousing about lack of access. The group was having lunch along the summit rim, and IIRC were from Harvard and Tufts. They had assumed (erroneously) that if they made to the trip West their fellow geologists with the USPS would give them permission for some close observation. No go - the Park Service wouldn't budge.

Kevin, that is the Loowit Trail #216 that connects Windy Ridge to Castle Ridge on the north side. Actually the Loowit trail circles the mountain. But it is closed on the north side facing the crater. You can hike to it from Windy Ridge via the Truman Trail to a threeway jct. Southbound the Loowit is open as is the spur that turns east (The Abraham Trail) to Mt Abraham. Here the northern portion of the Loowit passing in front of the crater remains closed.

I climbed that a few years back and it was just amazing. The FS is adamant about letting anyone into the crater. Back in the early 90's the north trail was closed. I read in the Seattle PI and on the Gifford Pinchot web site that the trail remains closed as of 7/26 even after opening up routes to the top. I doubt they are opening up the Loowit any time soon especially with the recent quakes and rumblings. We have climbed almost every mountain and minor peak around that thing it is simply awesome.

Last edited: