Mt Washington 11-05-05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dom15931

Reaction score
I am looking to climb Mt. Washington next Saturday (or Sunday) and would welcome company. If this is something you are interested in PM me. This has been a goal of mine for about a year now and it's looking good. A lot will depend on the weather obviously. Backup dates will be Sun or the following weekend. There are three routes I am considering, listed in my order of preference: 1. Glen boulder and across the boot spur 2. The Ammonoosuc Ravine (a close second) or 3. The Jewell Trail. Any recommdations are greatly appreciated.
Since I live in St. Johnsbury VT I will likely just get up early and be there around sunrise or a bit earlier. Snowshoes, goggles, crampons, and proper winter attire
are basic essentials. I have several years of summer hiking experience and have done several previous winter outings, two of which in foul weather.

Anyone interested?

-Dom

Last edited:
dom15931 said:
I am looking to climb Mt. Washington next Saturday (or Sunday) and would welcome company.

Just bought my own snowshoes and crampons today and I am really looking forward to this. :cool:

Anyone interested?

-Dom

To be honest, if I were to join someone climbing Mt. Washington, I would want them to have more experience using their snowshoes and crampons.

Dom, we just attempted Ammonoosuc Saturday morning and turned back just below the hut. I think we would have made the summit if we had tried Jewell. I left a brief trip report and some pic's. It's absolutely worth trying, as long as you're willing to turn around and make it back down safely.

carole said:
To be honest, if I were to join someone climbing Mt. Washington, I would want them to have more experience using their snowshoes and crampons.

I edited the post as I guess the wording made it sound like I'd never used the stuff before. No. Had previuosly rented the equiptment. Bought it since I am living up here now and will be using it much more frequently.

Chip said:
Dom, we just attempted Ammonoosuc Saturday morning and turned back just below the hut. I think we would have made the summit if we had tried Jewell. I left a brief trip report and some pic's. It's absolutely worth trying, as long as you're willing to turn around and make it back down safely.

wow Chip sounds like quite an ordeal. Thanks for the info. I've heard about all the downed trees over there. Definately a smart move to be willing to turn back. Sounds like the Jewell had similair probs. :eek:

A friend and I did Garfield today and there were very few downed trees. Was a good foot and a half of heavy wet snow up the top.

Last edited: