My Aching Neck!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found that towards the end of my work week I often have a stiff neck and that hiking removes the kinks!

Tom Rankin said:
Does anyone else end up with a stiff neck at the end of a long hike?

I think it's from staring down at the trail all day. But, I don't want to trip and fall either. Any suggestions?

Can you discribe your pain in a little more detail? It may give a few more clues. I have gotten crampy trapps from a heavy pack or poorly adjusted pack.

Do you normally look down when you walk on flat land?

I find looking up (tilting my head back a lot like looking up the side of a building) can make my neck cramp as well.

Little Rickie said:
Can you discribe your pain in a little more detail? It may give a few more clues. I have gotten crampy trapps from a heavy pack or poorly adjusted pack.

Do you normally look down when you walk on flat land?

I find looking up (tilting my head back a lot like looking up the side of a building) can make my neck cramp as well.
Well, it hurts to move my neck in any direction after a long hike. Side to side, up and down, left to right. I do not look up a lot on most hikes unless it's Pitchoff or something like that with awesome views! :D

It does not have to be a heavy pack, just a long hike.

I wonder what you wear on your neck ?

When looking down, your neck may get exposed to more air and , especially if there is dampness, you may be chilling your neck which leads to a dull pain after a while.

Neck Pain

I used to get neck pain after hiking. Here's what I did to eliminate it:

1. reduce overall pack weight.
2. make sure pack weight was on my hip belt and not my shoulder straps
3. go to the gym on days when I'm not hiking to strengthen my core, upper back and shoulders.
4. Take more frequent breaks where I remove the pack.
Note: I don't wear glasses, but a friend who has bifocals removes them on long descents because looking down while trying to avoid looking through the reading portion of the glasses makes him put his head in an awkward position.

Tom,
No one has suggested arthritis as a possible cause. I am 42 with diagnosed arthritis in my neck. Never had trouble while hiking, but holding my head in peculiar positions (falling asleep on an airplane, looking at a stage when my chair is not position properly) can cause much pain over time. Simply being aware of the problem has helped.

By the way, we have met on a winter hike from Slide to Wittenberg that Laurie led a few years ago.
Mark

MarkE said:
Tom,
No one has suggested arthritis as a possible cause. I am 42 with diagnosed arthritis in my neck. Never had trouble while hiking, but holding my head in peculiar positions (falling asleep on an airplane, looking at a stage when my chair is not position properly) can cause much pain over time. Simply being aware of the problem has helped.

By the way, we have met on a winter hike from Slide to Wittenberg that Laurie led a few years ago.
Mark
Hi Mark!

I do go to a chiro every so often, and this usually gives me (temporary) relief, but I have never considered the possibility that I am developing arthritis. I do not have it anywhere else yet.

Tom Rankin said:
Hi Mark!

I do go to a chiro every so often, and this usually gives me (temporary) relief, but I have never considered the possibility that I am developing arthritis. I do not have it anywhere else yet.
Have you ever tried hiking with a chiropractor?

As far as arthritis (osteoarthritis or OA to be specific) goes, the only way to know is to have an x-ray.

It's possible to have OA in only one of the body's joints.

I'm still thinking, which is quite a chore for me.

Are you a focused type of hiker where you keep one foot in front of the other and keep a consistant pace? or do you stop to smell the flowers often and look around you? I'm thinking maybe if you are focused you may not be turning your neck much?

Do you have a lot on your mind that your sorting out as you walk? That's one of the good things I like about hiking. It clears out a lot of cobwebs, my worries take a hiatus and I relax.

Well, yesterday was 8 hours of trail work. Since I was the tallest person, I had to clip all the overhanging branches. That forced me to look up a lot. My neck is a little sore but not too bad. A few times during the day I forced myself to look up from the trail.