National Park Service accident/incident reports

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrey

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I just heard from Miehoff about a man falling off Angel's landing in Zion on June 8 - just as he and Jen were heading up to the Narrows on the bus. This was the 6th such death since July 2006! There's a reason some of us have decided to pass on that one.

Here's a link to the NPS incident report site - some interesting daily reading on grizzlies, lost hikers, climbing mishaps, etc:

http://home.nps.gov/applications/morningreport/

I don't know if your link mentions it, but when I had looked up number of deaths in Zion (particularly Angel's Landing), it seemed that some of them have remained unresolved with respect to being foul play or not. :eek:

We've done Angel's Landing twice -- I love the hike! (although there were times where I took some deep breaths :rolleyes: )

Thanks for the link. I had never seen that daily newsletter.

I just read over the past 5 or 6 days worth and I just want to say I can not believe the number of fatalities in those reports for just a couple of days. Half Dome, Grand Teton, Lake Mead, Mt. Rainier, Zion....

The gentleman who fell on June 8 was actually clowning around, stepped back, and the edge "crumbled" under him. I looked for related websites and happened upon the usual debate about whether the rangers should evaluate people for their ability to do such hikes. We here know how impossible that is.

If Angel's Landing were in Baxter, it would simply be closed.

Angels Landing is very easy if you pay attention. It seemed so evident to me that if you didn't, you might make a wrong move (and die). Hikers should just keep telling themselves that as they go up the last section; instead folks are screwing around. Funny how carefree some folks were as we climbed it. I paid attention as if it were a technical climb. I mean, why not? I have a very very bitter outlook when it comes to commercial hikes like that, but man, what a view.

Maybe I was ok with it because I really tested myself the day before with an unplanned vertical climb which also offered instant death. Ahh, the games we play. I am terrified of heights.

Audrey, thanks for posting that NPS link. Always a good read for hikers. I used to read it every single weekday morning for several years. See you soon.

Also, in reference to the last thread I started about where to go and what to see in Utah, thanks to everyone that helped me out. What a great place that is. I found many secret spots that you will never read about, but will always remember.

audrey said:
If Angel's Landing were in Baxter, it would simply be closed.

Did they reopen the Cathedral trail in Baxter after a fatality? That trail made me more nervous than Angel's Landing because of the possiblity for rock slides from above.

Another one in this category is the Beehive in Acadia. People have fallen to their deaths on that trail, but it remains very popular.

Hi Liza!

I am not sure if they reopened it - I checked a couple of the obvious websites but they're kind of stale. The only updated parts are regulations and fees.

I think there's a difference between closing an inherently unstable unsafe trail that can kill even the most prudent user and closing one which requires some common sense and judgment on the part of the climber. As far as I know, they closed the South Brother slide (the old route of the Marston trail) because some got hurt on it - well, it goes up a slippery mossy ledgy route and you've got to be really careful. I don't mind so much that they closed it, but they'll skewer you if they catch you hiking it. As a bushwhacker, I don't care for that attitude.