Need advice from canyon rats

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrey

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on a Utah canyon or two in May that might require some swimming (Willow and Fortymile Gulches). How do I keep my daypack dry and buoyant?

Also, I'm thinking that sturdy tightly-laced hiking boots are preferable to sandals, especially since there's mention of quicksand. Or are there water shoes I could carry that wouldn't get sucked off my feet? I am so excited!!

Thanks.

audrey said:
I'm planning on a Utah canyon or two in May that might require some swimming (Willow and Fortymile Gulches). How do I keep my daypack dry and buoyant?

Also, I'm thinking that sturdy tightly-laced hiking boots are preferable to sandals, especially since there's mention of quicksand. Or are there water shoes I could carry that wouldn't get sucked off my feet? I am so excited!!

Thanks.

Hi Audrey,

Would an air matress/pad to float your pack work?

On our Buckskin Gulch/Paria Canyon hike last May, we used Solomon trail running shoes, which worked just fine (good support, dried quickly, stayed on our feet). Their water shoes were not sufficient for me with a pack. I don't know how much water you'll be going through, or how heavy your pack will be, or what the bottom conditions are. Regular sandals/crocs, etc. might not do the trick.

The only small bit of quicksand we encountered was in Paria R., and was easily avoided.

We're going to hike out that way again in May as well.

Dick

audrey said:
How do I keep my daypack dry and buoyant?

For buoyancy, a couple empty nalgenes work well. I usually only pack things I don't mind getting wet for one day canyon hikes.

Hiking the Paria River Canyon in April of 2004, I had tightly laced boots practically sucked off my feet in the quicksand, it was actually quite scary since my hiking partner was a complete newbie and wouldn't step near me to help for fear she would get sucked in . . . haha . . . so I have no advice on the footware, other than be prepared to have it be soaking wet all the time.

As far as buoyancy, I would just make sure everything was water tight, maybe even use a dry bag if you think you will be swimming with it. That way even if the pack gets wet, the stuff inside the dry bag will stay dry. Sounds like so much fun, I love canyon hiking.

sli74