neighborhood fox with mange question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
(Mods can close this thread if it's too far off and I'll apologize in advance. Just looking to see if anyone has a better answer than I'd get if I asked this on another forum (Shooting Sportsman:rolleyes:).)

Recently a fox with mange has been frequenting the yard. Last year we had to treat our old dog for fox mites/mange. I thought mange was always painful and fatal in fox and that they would spread it throughout their "friends and families" and kill them as well. I called the CT DEP Wildlife Division and asked them if they support any treatment options and was told mange is not uncommon, no worse than fleas and that a cold winter would probably cure the infection.:confused:

So I have some options from doing nothing through several distinctly different options of doing something. Doing nothing carries the risk of my or a neighbor's dog becoming infected again and potentially watching the fox deteriorate in pain while spreading the infestation, so I probably won't do nothing.

Anyone have any experience with treating a wild animal ? The other option is a bit more terminal but may be quite humane, considering. No PETA flames, please. I'll delete the thread myself if that's the direction this goes. Thanks.

3 pictures of the fox are in the "CT: Neighborhood Critters" album of my Trip Photos link below.

Last edited:
Chip,
You might want to try this number.
(508) 839-7918 The Wildlife Clinic at Tufts in No Grafton MA
I think they would be able to advise you.