never leave home without a compas

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I learned that the hard way. I was going to do blueberry by marcy field so I figured I dont need my compass or GPS. I got halfway there and saw the weather was iffy so I cut it off and headed to gore. Did not want to drive 6 hours round trip for bad weather, when I was going to do Gore next month anyway. Two years ago I did Gore by way of the gondola's so this year I figured I would try the trails. They were very hard to follow. Obviously they do not get any traffic any more. I would stand at one trail marker and look at the next trail marker and could not see any trail. It was totally over grown. I keep going like this till I saw a sigh that said trail left (I forget the name) and roaring brook trail straight ahead. I have herd of this trail so I took. in about 100 yards I could not find a trail or a trail marker anywhere. I decide to go up and sooner or later I would hit the ski slopes. Soon I started going down hill? My sense of direction said the mountain should be on my left and route 28 should be on my right. My senseof direction must have gotten all messed up becouse I had no idea where north or south was and I did not have my compass (I thought I would be on marked trails). I could not go back becouse I was all messed up, so when I came upon a stream I took it down figuring it would either hit a road or a lake. It got real rocky and I was hoping either me or my dog did not slip and break something. Lucky about noon I came out on route 28 and wanted to kiss the ground. I had no idea how I came out 2 miles from my car (I thought I wqas heading back towards my car) but at that point I did not care. I was lucky that stream headed towards the hudson and did not curl around the mountain and head towards 13th lake. if it came out on a small pond in the middle of nowhere and with no trails I was screwed. I will never go anywhere again without my compass :eek:

Strange, when I was there, the trails seemed to be quite well defined. There were also bike trails that were QUITE well defined. Gore has a few false summits, getting to the top w/o a map and compass, while off trail might be shall be say 'challenging'! :D

When I was backpacking in Wrangell St. Elias, we flew into a place called Wolverine mountain, north of the University Range, and we were at the start of a 8 day backcountry backpack. Serious stuff, all day and all night, we would here the morraines creaking and rocks falling and boulders aplenty. Anyway, the first day we got there it was overcast and rainy and kind of sucky. Sucky enough that we got to a good place to camp and we just kind of setup camp and crashed, skipoing dinner and just chilling. The next day, it was overcast but not rainy and looked to be clearing so we hiked a bit up and setup camp fairly early in the afternoon. Well it started to clear so my cabin feaver got me up and I got my boots on and scrambled out of the tent. In a valley between two ridgelines running about 1000ft up from where we were, I decided to scramble up one just to take a look see. No compass, no water, no food, heck, I'm just going to scramble up the scree and sit and take a look...

So I make my way up... actually in fact, I think I even had my camp shoes on (which also served as my river shoes as they were my paddling shoes I brought along). Anyway, as I got to the top, I noticed the ridge kept going. Heck, I guess the peakbagger in me told me to keep on going and eventually about 20 minutes later, I hit the summit... Little did I know there was some thick fog descending from the path ahead of the camp, obscuring a lot of the view of the ridge across from the valley that my tent was at. I got a look at the ridge when I was ascending to know which direction my tent was. Kind of a visual bearing. Of course, this is on the assumption that one can see the ridge! Anyway, through some kind of good karma, every 2 minutes or so, the skies would clear up just enough that I could make out the correct bearing so my course back to the tent was off a bit but I wound up in the valley about 1/4 mile below the tent and I was very releaved when I saw the tent cause I didn't want to think what I would do if I got disorientated and descended into the wrong valley! I did drink from a glacial stream unfiltered cause I was getting thirsty. Just dumb to be travelling in the backcountry without my compass if even on a little scramble to a small peak next to my tent!

Jay

it's these kinds of lapses in judgement even among the experienced that keep me busy in SAR calls, and the heads of the NYSDEC shaking. Hopefully in addition to never traveling in the woods without compass (and map), trail or not, hikers will also include a route plan left with a responsible contact person. 'nuf said. :eek:

Last edited:
Nessmuk said:
it's these kinds of lapses in judgement even among the experienced that keep me busy in SAR calls, and the heads of the NYSDEC shaking. Hopefully in addition to never traveling in the woods without compass (and map), trail or not, hikers will also include a route plan left with a responsible contact person. 'nuf said. :eek:

At least he admitted his mistake probably knowing that he might get flamed by posting it. I bet he does not make the mistake again though :D

Hey, everyone makes mistakes and the longer you hike, the easier it is to take something for granted or overlook a little thing. Probably happens to everyone.
Good lesson for ADK-dib and for everyone.

Try this for embarassing - I was leading a Club trip with a full roster. I was so confident of the bushwhack route to a little known slide that I'd climbed before that I went by dead reckoning. Ended up on the wrong stream, up high, in thick stuff, and was so discouraged that I took the group back downhill out to a trail. They were all pretty good with the outcome( I'd beaten them to death sidehilling in and over thick ravines) and happy to be down safely. The memory is still painful over 20 years later. A funny reminder is the drawn caricature of me on that trip that the Club matted, framed and presented to me at the annual meeting, commemorating the incident. It was hilarious and embarassing at the same time, and deserved to be.

I never forgot that lesson, and plan the routes for all my trips carefully.

A brief aside - Neil does something worth emulating. He saves his route as a jpeg and prints the route and leaves with his wife. Thats an excellent idea.

Didn't care if I got flamed or not. I figured it was worth posting if it helped 1 person out. Really kind of stupid though when you think about it. How much does a compass weigh? Its not like it is going to tire you out carrying it.

Should have noted something for Gore. A great time to do it is right after the ski area closes. There is still snow on the runs, its usually rock hard man-made stuff, and if you pick a sunny day, its almost like a glacier walk. Follow the trails right to the top.

Adk_dib said:
Didn't care if I got flamed or not. I figured it was worth posting if it helped 1 person out. Really kind of stupid though when you think about it. How much does a compass weigh? Its not like it is going to tire you out carrying it.

Absolutely was worth posting. Glad it wound up working out but it points out that even experienced people can make small mistakes that could snowball into a real problem.

I have a small survival kit that is with me always. Even when I drop trow (sorry for the visual), or just around the corner to see whats there. Even when I drop my pack its still on me. Essentials to stay alive, start a fire and make a shelter if needed and set a bearing, couple of large garbage bags, etc.

Thanks for sharing.
Keith

Last edited:
If it didn't get implied by my post earlier, thanks to ADK_dib for being gutsy enough to remind us all not to get complacent.

Peakbagr said:
I was so confident of the bushwhack route to a little known slide that I'd climbed before that I went by dead reckoning.
Just a nit here with a definition from someone who at one time earned a living as a navigator. "Dead Reckoning" is not the same as "by the seat of your pants" (without compass). DR is using actual or estimated speed and a known direction of travel with compass from a previously known position to calculate a future position. Using a DR is the general basis for all other advanced navigation.

Last edited:
This is a terrific post - especially coming from someone who is experienced. We all do it - one way or another...I recently had major water issues because I tossed my water filter in the trunk all in the name of saving a little weight...
I have needed a compass once or twice in over 1000 miles of hiking - but I always bring it...
I have learned about the compass for good here!!
Clothing is another concern, especially above treeline - saw snow and high winds yesterday over 5k in NH - needed every piece I carried - worth the weight. I always marvel at some folks who seem to carry nothing into potentially dangerous terrain. It does not matter how experienced you are - if you slip and fall you can be stuck for the night - be ready to survive.
Be vigilant.

looked at the map and saw what I did if anyone interested. I followed a ski trail from ski bowl road, that was why there was no footpath to follow. I passed by rabbit pond and saw a sign to goto roaring brook and took it. when I lost the trail signs I climbed what I thought was gore, but was actually a "bump" to the north of the resevoir. when I started going downhill I hit I hit raymond brook and came out 2 miles from ski bowl road on route 28. If I kept going past brook I would have been in deep do do. (Check out my avatar! pretty weird huh) :)

Adk_dib said:
.....They were very hard to follow. Obviously they do not get any traffic any more. I would stand at one trail marker and look at the next trail marker and could not see any trail. It was totally over grown.
Tom Rankin said:
Strange, when I was there, the trails seemed to be quite well defined. There were also bike trails that were QUITE well defined.
Could it be that you somehow got onto an old abandoned trail? I know of several places in the adirondacks where a trail had been re-routed, yet one can (not easily) follow the old trail, since the markers were left.

By the way... We learn from experiences like that. We learn very little when everything goes perfectly.

Top Ten Reasons You Might Need A Compass:

10. You've never been there before.
9. You've been there before but someone else led that time.
8. You've been there before but the leaves are on the trees this time.
7. You've been there before and they cut some trees since the last time you were there.
6. You've been there before and you're going to check out this moose trail for just a little bit to see where it goes.
5. You've been there before and it's now dark/snowing/raining hard.
4. You've been there before and you're going to try bushwhacking for the first time.
3. You've been there before and you're on your fiftieth bushwhack this year.
2. You've been there before and you want to go home afterward.

And the Number One Reason you might need a compass:

1. You don't want to be the subject of a post hoc (and maybe post mortem) analysis on VFTT. :eek:

Thanks for posting this. I appreciate the read and the reminder to make sure I keep my 10 items handy for the trail (especially when you have a 6 year old that constantly needs your compass to play "pirates" and leaves it hanging on a stuffed animal in his bedroom) :)

I had something similiar happen to me on Soapstone mountain in MA once, and came out in a very much different spot than I thought I was at - Small little mountain with a fire road nearby - Intersting to later look at a map and figure out where you actually went..

Glad it turned out well for you.

sardog1 said:
Top Ten Reasons You Might Need A Compass:

10. You've never been there before.
9. You've been there before but someone else led that time.
8. You've been there before but the leaves are on the trees this time.
7. You've been there before and they cut some trees since the last time you were there.
6. You've been there before and you're going to check out this moose trail for just a little bit to see where it goes.
5. You've been there before and it's now dark/snowing/raining hard.
4. You've been there before and you're going to try bushwhacking for the first time.
3. You've been there before and you're on your fiftieth bushwhack this year.
2. You've been there before and you want to go home afterward.

And the Number One Reason you might need a compass:

1. You don't want to be the subject of a post hoc (and maybe post mortem) analysis on VFTT. :eek:
Great list - I would add:

11: You have been there before, in fact you have been everywhere before - hell, it is all starting to look the same to me!

sapblatt said:
...I always marvel at some folks who seem to carry nothing into potentially dangerous terrain. It does not matter how experienced you are - if you slip and fall you can be stuck for the night - be ready to survive.
Be vigilant.

I was once lectured on a trail for carrying a pack that was too large. It was near treeline and the high temp for the day was expected to reach 0 with 40-60mph winds :confused: