New Cannister on Boundary Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
A new cannister is in place on the summit of Boundary Mountain (UTM NAD27, 19T,355516,5014041,3880). It is only about 8 feet from the original mounting brackets, and 15 feet from the cairn. It is on the far side of the tree from the boundry swath and hopefully not down range from a hunter. I tied it to a small living tree with nylon line. After examining my work, I came to the conclusion that this will not last more than a year or two. What it needs is a stainless steel hose clamp and some sort of cable to attach it to the tree. The pipe is schedule-40 3" diameter PVC. pic

Paradox said:
A new cannister is in place on the summit of Boundary Mountain (UTM NAD27, 19T,355516,5014041,3880). It is on the far side of the tree from the boundry swath and hopefully not down range from a hunter. I tied it to a small living tree with nylon line.
Good job, thanks for the work.

I assume by "far side" you mean behind the tree, basically not in plain view from the border.

Paradox said:
(UTM NAD27, 19T,355516,5014041,3880).
NAD27 - that's very retro! :D

BTW the NGS publishes the coordinates of survey markers (there's one under the cairn) to millimeter accuracy: QH0363, "DUTCH IBC" NAD 83 (adjusted 1996) 19 T 355559.963E 5014260.516N

Yupperdoodle. The new cannister is on the U.S.A. side of the cairn and not clearly visible like the last one. I did find the old mounting bracket on the side of a tree facing the swath. I stood back aways and felt that the new position was not nearly as obtrusive as the last, yet it could easily be found by anyone who was looking for it. The weather at the summit must be much more severe than on the surrounding peaks as evidenced by the height and condition of the trees. There is a hunters structure about a hundred feet away, but it is very dilapidated in appearance and doesn't look very safe or even used in the recent past. Most of the hunting installations are much lower and in boggy areas. I noticed that many of the hunting camps have installed some sort of water catching basins to attract wildlife. There doesn't seem to be any place to catch water up on Boundary's summit. The salt licks are far away also.