New "DriDown" hydrophobic insulation technology from Sierra Designs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks interesting if it works out...

And yes, I still have my 60/40 shell, but it isn't in very good shape. My 65/35 is, however, quite useable. Nowadays, they would be called parkas or parka (mid-thigh) length--shells these days have gone to jacket length which is too short for serious rain or wind protection, IMO..

The cagoule was even longer--knee length or longer with only a short neck zipper. They didn't ventilate well and were more of a wearable bivy sack than a hiking jacket.

I still have a (19)72/73 EMS catalog listing 60/40s and cagoules...

Doug

My wife, for many years had an EMS 60/40 and I still have a Frostline "Kit" pullover.
The pullover was actually not a kit but was all assembled when purchased. My brother made the down booties in "Home Ec" class. I agree that the length of todays coats should be a bit longer. What can we do...we are slaves to fashion (or at least slaves to the fashion of the majority).

The 60/40 material (60% cotton/40% nylon) was cotton in one direction and nylon in the other. It was very breathable and has some moisture resistance (desirable in the NE). It was ok when new, but after a while the cotton wore out and it developed "linear tatters"... In the NE, we also needed to carry separate rain gear (typically coated nylon).

Similar shells were available in 100% nylon which were recommended for colder drier climates because it had no resistance to external moisture.

60/40 was replaced by 65/35 (polyester/cotton). This fabric has cotton and polyester in both directions so it wore very well.

Timeline: first appearances (from old EMS catalogs):
* (19)72 or earler: 60/40 shells
* (19)75/76 fall/winter: 65/35 shells
* (19)77 spring/summr: Goretex

Doug

Last edited:
No, but I have older cousins who can. :p

You probably are one of those greybeards who remembers Frostline kits and all the rest ......

Best high gaiters ever, I wore for years, were a frostline kit i sewed myself as a yoot 'round aboot 1973. Several stuff sacks as well.
I still have an unopened Frostline Kits stuff sack kit in my gear storage. What are the opening bids ?

The wholesaler who is supplying Sierra Designs (and others) with the hydrophobic down has stepped out into the bright light of day: Down Decor's "Downtek". In addition to SD, they're supplying Marmot, Columbia, Mountain Hardwear, REI, Brooks Range and LL Bean.

The process is actually done under a contract with a Belgian lab called NanoGroup Europe (part of a bigger UK-based outfit).

Looks like there will be a substantial number of garments and sleeping bags available for this fall.