New Ed Viesturs book

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ed is my hero...

and co authored with David Roberts, an awesome writer.

Climbing those monsters is impressive. But doing it without supplemental oxygen...well, that's just showing off ;)

Ed is a very inspirational speaker. I heard him last fall and was amazed at how his energy filled the hall. Every moment he spoke was an adventure of one sort or another, but based on a realistic foundation of keeping as safe as possible while stretching yourself to reach new horizons.

Cool, I just finished reading a book by David Roberts, who had Jon Krakauer doing the photography. It's a book called Iceland: Land of the Sagas and its a historical essay on the origins of the Icelandic people and the story of the many Sagas associated with the pagan and Norse history of the island. The photography is good but the printing is not that great as the photos are grainy. It's also published in 1998 but it's a very interesting read.

I was curious and just looked at Ed's website... Was curious what nationality is the surname "Viesturs" as it seems fairly uncommon. Appears his father is Latvian and his mother was German... Just thought I'd pass that along.

Jay

Last edited:
This will be on my Christmas wish list. I got to hear Ed speak and met him after the slide show I saw him do in Cambridge last year. He is more than inspirational. Besides having done the nearly impossible, he is a great guy who is humble and apppreciative of all who have supported him through the years. Truly a class act!

I've been looking forward to this book coming out for awhile. I have "Himalayan Quest," his book of photography, which is quite amazing. I've always gotten the feeling that Viesturs was more into photography than writing so having a co-author will probably make the book a lot better.

There was an excerpt from the book in one of the adventure magazines a couple of months ago (National Geographic Adventure or Men's Journal, I think). Pretty good, but hard to judge out of context.

They have the book at BJ's for $13.56. (I mean EVIL BJ's)

BoB will be at the book signing

We picked up a "Reviewers Copy" at the Strand bookstore in NYC last weekend. Why are they selling so cheaply so soon?

There will be a book signing in Portland (OR) next week, I might have to pick up this book and take a walk down to the signing....does anyone have any comments on the book yet?

Two Thumbs Up

Just finished chapter 1- EXCELLENT so far. I've read other accounts of this expedition (K2 with Scott Fischer), but always neat to get a different perspective on the same trip.

Bob said:
Just finished chapter 1- EXCELLENT so far. I've read other accounts of this expedition (K2 with Scott Fischer), but always neat to get a different perspective on the same trip.

Chapter 1? How could you put it down after only a chapter? :) I'm almost done with the book, which is really great, and I went to see Ed speak last night. The slideshow was amazing...you think the pictures of the Whites are spectacular, but wow, the Himalayas look outrageous. I just can't believe anyone can get up there and come back in one piece. And he's summitted Everest 6 times as well as climbed all the 14 8,000 meter peaks. The feeling must be pretty incredible.

Bob, your signature made me laugh, I needed that, thanks :D

it was refreshing to read a mountaineering book that wasn't all about close calls, forced bivouacs, and loss of digits. i almost find it hard to believe someone could do all that he has done and have had so few near misses. his physical ability also amazes me. i need to go find that back issue of backpacker magazine with his trainer describing his work out routine prior to his successful ascent of annapurna and get cracking.

bryan

I got this book for Christmas and finished it this morning. I thought it was OK. The very fact that he is so conservative makes it less interesting, in the adventure sense. It wasn't a page-turner for me. I don't really know what order it was in -- it jumped around a lot. Some of the 8000ers hardly got a mention, just a line or two "and for the second part of a twofer, we banged out G. II". Lots of details about Everest--maybe too many, but he made it 6 of 10 attempts so I guess it should figure prominently. The section on K2 was good, and the Annapurna recounting was very good.

I read Into Thin Air when it came out, and as I recall it was more of a page turner. I guess No Shortcuts is autobiographical and not an adventure based on close calls and the like. I will have to get a copy (I borrowed one last time.)

It was interesting also to read about the few folks who soloed some of the 8000ers (some unsuccessfully :()...

Tim

I read the book around Christmas time and enjoyed it. His mention of the book Annapurna by Maurice Herzog prompted me to check it out from the library and I just finished it last night. Man -- what a read. I can't believe nobody died on that expedition. And in light of Viestur's struggles with Annapurna, it was even more interesting.