New emergency transmitter for the backcountry

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
Here's a new device that fits somewhere on the continuum occupied by the real PLBs and their would-be imitator. The SPOT Satellite Messenger will transmit a text message and your location. (Once the page opens, click on "Satellite Messenger" to see features.)

You can choose whether to ask your family for help or send a message directly to a 911 dispatcher. I haven't seen one personally so I don't know more than the website and the attendant PR announcement.

Last edited:
Reading between the lines suggests that it is a combination of a GPS receiver and a limited satphone. The announcement also says that the company is a subsidiary of Globalstar, a satphone company.

Doug

Looks interesting. I would wonder how big it is, how much it weighs, how much does the system cost and how much does it cost to send out a message to family or 911 help?

I don't see running out to buy one for my hikes in the Whites. I'll stick to leaving my wife a note.

Woody48 said:
Looks interesting. I would wonder how big it is, how much it weighs, how much does the system cost and how much does it cost to send out a message to family or 911 help?
There are some numbers in sardog1's links.

There are a bunch of unanswered questions, eg:
* how good is the GPS in degraded skyview conditions
* how well does the satphone work in degraded skyview conditions

Doug