New info on sending SOS on cell phones

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pks4000

Reaction score
My daughter, in her efforts to keep her mountaineer Dad safe, offers the following info.
If you need to get an SOS out, but cant get a voice connection due to lack of signal strength, make a text message to several friends who know you are out there.

You told at least 2 people your itinerary right? :)

Because of the serious nature of this post if anyone knows this to be positively false please counter.

It makes intuitive sense that a text message could get out whereby a voice call may not.

This may be hard due to physical limitations ...cold /wind /injury

Climb onward and upward

I only send text messages when I'm out hiking. One time I tried to call my parents while I was at the lodge at Pinkham Notch, just to tell them the drive up north was fine. The phone kept getting disconnected before I could start talking so they thought I might be lost in the mountains trying to call for help. :eek: Luckily there was a pay phone I could use before they got too worried.

Now I only send text messages. They either get completely through or not at all.

Mongoose,
Good advice,...... your right, no garbled possible @#%*)help
calls.
Good point about texting only.

It might be hard or even dangerous to type in extreme cold but def worth the effort if your in trouble enough to call out in the first place.

Thanks mucho mon.

Once upon a time I would have disagreed; however, with the imminent shutdown of the analog cell phone network, pretty much any service still out there should support text messaging.

Note that in my experience when I'm on someone else's network I cannot send picture messages. Make sure to send a plain text SMS and not an MMS or whatever it's called. As an example, I have Verizon and from Waterville Valley ski area I can send plain texts but not the fancier messages.

This is a good idea since you only need a "second" of good connection to get a txt message out, where you need a solid connection to make a voice call. Another good idea would be to pre-program a distress txt message into your phone, so you can simply select it if you ever needed to use this option.

However, keep in mind that the txt message will not have 911 location information, and if you can make a 911 call, that is always your best bet. 50% of most wireless calls today contain an X/Y location for 911 purposes.

Text messages

Nice input gang . The preprogramming of a text message would be good also
as typing on those small keys would be a bear in the cold and wind (and dark)
Great ideas.
Onward and upward

Push To Talk

Push to talk (att wireless) also operates on different frequencies and towers. You may be able to make a "walkie Talkie" phone call even with no service. This is probably true of other carriers as well

Lou

I myself have sent a picture message from the summit of Mt. Lafayette to my girlfriend and another friend in CA (on a bluebird day.) In theory it could be a good option in a tough situation. I like the save a emergency message for "just in case," use idea.