new mutt in the hiking community

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Hopefully she'll be a hiker. Only 13 weeks old, she came up from down south with a couple siblings and they all got adopted pretty quickly at our local Animal Welfare Society. I think she's mostly Brittany Spaniel, but if you think different, let me know. She's already pointing a bit and loves being out in the yard with her nose to the ground. Coincidently the AWS named her Brittney, so we're keeping that. Hopefully we will see you on the trails soon.

IMG_3131.JPG

IMG_3129.JPG

IMG_3120.JPG

A HEARTY CONGRATULATIONS! SHE IS ADORABLE.

Best of luck with the new fur kid! :D

I agree Brittany and perhaps some Beagle?

I thought that too. Similar faces, but Beagles have much bigger ears, I think.

They make breed ancestry DNA kits, I've never used one but it's a cool way to find out the ancestry of a mix.

http://allmypetsupplies.com/p-5951-biopet-dna-breed-id-kit.aspx

:)

That might be cool. I always called our last dog the "original dog" because I'm sure there were way too many ancestors in there to pick out one or two. Thanks though.

She looks like a great pal. Such a cutie. I agree about the Brittany mix part. My parents had one for many years. She came to them when she was too much for my sister-in-law's elderly father to handle. Her name was Taffy, but her nickname was Daffy. She probably thought her name was Sit. She loved to suck on her blankie. Wishing y'all lots of fun!

Pemi was 14 pounds at 13 weeks. She is now 8 months and 39 pounds. :)

Brit is so cute. I love the picture of her in her crate, she looks like she is keeping a close eye on things. Gotta love a good watch dog. The photo of her with your wife is also so sweet. She looks like she has landed in the perfect home.

Chip,

Maybe we can put together a 'doghike' with the new addition this spring? Of course, the more the merrier.
Congratulations on your new hiking buddy.

Alan

Chip,

Maybe we can put together a 'doghike' with the new addition this spring?

Alan

Sounds good. Looking forward.

Paradox said:
I hear that the Brittany has a nose that rivals that of a Bloodhound. Could make a first rate corridor monitor dog able to sniff out the boundry monuments.

thanks for trying to get this thread more hiking related ;).

Congratulations! BTW, just how big is that puppy at 13 weeks? You might be in for a bigger thrill than you expected.

Have been thinking the same thing and I might add working on trying to get these images posted for at least 2 hrs. (Finally solved the pic posting problem.) I told my vet I picked the runt of the litter in hopes that she would not get too large. His reply? "Don't count on it." The little runt fit into my small backpack and look at her now! All 96 lbs of her. :eek: "Could be a "big surprise" coming up." I think she looks like quite a good size 3mo old.

IMG_1286.jpg

385478_232054536870539_100001979828900_517440_948927743_n.jpg

Last edited:
The coat texture, the feathering on the legs and tail, the structure of the limbs and the apparent thickness of the bone at this young age still suggest to me that some part of St. Bernard ancestry is not impossible. Maybe I'm seeing too much substance in this puppy in the pictures here. I'll be interested to know where things stand in a year or so. :)