New software for Garmin 60/76 C[S]x GPSes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougPaul

Reaction score
Garmin has just announced v3.90 software for the 60CSx, 60Cx, 76CSx, and 76Cx GPSes. It adds support for more than 2GB of maps. (These GPSes could already use larger microSD cards, but the maximum map image file size was 2GB.)

http://www8.garmin.com/support/blosp.jsp

However the 2025 map segment is generally more limiting with the Garmin Topo maps (lots of small segments). (I have ~2020 segments in ~1.2 GB loaded on my GPS.) I have no word yet on whether this limit has been changed or not.

Doug

I've seen reports that the satellite display on v3.90 doesn't show the little "D"s when using (differential) corrections from WAAS.

Still no reports about whether the 2025 segment limit has been changed.

Doug

Can't resist this Doug, but have there been any scientific studies to back up your facts?:confused::D

... seriously though, your advice on GPS is precious. Thanks.

Just downloaded this upgrade and my first impressions are good. The visual interface on my PC is definitely an improvement. Thanks for the link Doug!

Doug et al,

Will the 76CSx take a 4G microSD card? I bought a 2G the other day, and the BestBuy salesperson said the 4G (a SanDisk Ultra with some different kind of higher-density format) probably would not work.

Edit: A quick visit to the Garmin site says: NO. My inference is that only standard microSD cards are accepted (not high-density, etc.), and the current limit for them is two gigs.

Last edited:
Doug et al,

Will the 76CSx take a 4G microSD card? I bought a 2G the other day, and the BestBuy salesperson said the 4G (a SanDisk Ultra with some different kind of higher-density format) probably would not work.

Edit: A quick visit to the Garmin site says: NO. My inference is that only standard microSD cards are accepted (not high-density, etc.), and the current limit for them is two gigs.
Check out the changelog on the latest software rev:
"* Added support for maps greater than 2 GB."

So presumably it will if you load the latest software (v3.90).

Doug