NH... NEMO Tents... air filled, no poles

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider solo

Reaction score
"..Tent is From Mars"
I saw mention of this in the March 2006 Backpacker Mag gear guide.
It is from a NH company..whose founder, Cam Brensinger, was inspired when finding himself".... bivied in a snow cave during a blizzard on... Mt Washington" or so the story goes.
The tent is an inflatable single walled ultralight shelter. If it rips it may be designed to "self clot to plug the leak...Though I'm not sure if that will be true for his tents.
Apparently Brensinger was hired By NASA To help make a "Bio-Suit" for future Mars colonist, which does have self clotting ability if punctured.
(Nice article with a picture of the tent)

I have wondered these past few years why back packs aren't partially filled with helium to help "lighten the load" ...perhaps that's not to far fetched.
I think it would be easy to see not to far into the future where the frame and suspension might at least be air filled.. esp as new fabrics are devoloped ..not the heavy PVC stuff that comes to mind for inflatable rafts and what not... but lighter more "space age" stuff .
I would think it's not in the to distant future...

..... and of course always...."Think out side the box"

Last edited:
spider solo said:
I have wondered these past few years why back packs aren't partially filled with helium to help "lighten the load" ...perhaps that's not to far fetched.
At best, it would only lighten your pack by an insignificant amount. And it would leak out... You would need big helium balloons--have fun in the wind and trees.

I think it would be easy to see not to far into the future where the frame and suspension might at least be air filled.. esp as new fabrics are devoloped ..not the heavy PVC stuff that comes to mind for inflatable rafts and what not... but lighter more "space age" stuff .
The pressures would have to be rather high for enough strength, requiring strong, heavy fabrics. It would probably leak so you might have to bring a pump... Aluminum or carbon fiber is more practical.

Sorry,

Doug

I was reading this morning about an Osprey (?) pack that had an air assisted or filled suspension system...I'm too lazy to do another search to find it. I think it's the kind of 'air' found in the heal of a running shoe though.....Still, after reading the posts on the 'do you remember when...' thread, it's apparent that there have been many advances in gear over the years and the possibility of pack-lightening options in the future may surprise us....beam me up!!
.....Jade

Ahhh Doug.. As I sit typing on some invention that was unthinkable years ago...I don't think I would be quite ready to throw the towel in just yet on future... leaky... probably won't work things.

Kind of like the new racing kayak that becomes airborne that is breaking new concepts as it sets new speed records...

Helium may never be what does the trick for back packing but air suspension frames and suspensions may already be in the works...

Hmmm, an inflatable lumbar/back panel makes sense to me. I think I may incorporate it into the next frameless pack I build/sew! :D

spider solo said:
Ahhh Doug.. As I sit typing on some invention that was unthinkable years ago...I don't think I would be quite ready to throw the towel in just yet on future... leaky... probably won't work things.

Kind of like the new racing kayak that becomes airborne that is breaking new concepts as it sets new speed records...

Helium may never be what does the trick for back packing but air suspension frames and suspensions may already be in the works...
Good luck.

I have a frameless pack that has a layer of closed cell foam on the back. I suppose you could substitute a custom-sized thermarest. The closed cell foam works quite well, is lighter than a thermarest, and doesn't leak.

Doug

Last edited:
I met one of the owner's of NEMO when he was demo'ing the tents at last year's Festiglace (2005). While I love the idea, the weight was still slightly more than a standard tent with the poles, so sure if they've shaved weight or not since then. Still, no poles to break and the air tubes are doubled, so if one breaks there is still some stability. Very nice design as well, I was impressed.

Awesome guy to talk to, very nice and down to earth.

Last edited:
Sounds like he would be quite an interesting fellow.
I see they are offering four different style tents including one for racing and also a mountaineering 4 season tent.
Looks like lots of info on their web site...
www.nemoequipment.com/products_tech_inflatable.asp

I think I read that when doing a bivy on Mt Washington he thought along the line of how a thermarest tent might be and tried out different ideas from there.
I imagine if NASA wants his input he is a pretty innovative fellow.

Now that various companies offer clothing, sleeping bags, and even some packs and footwear made with welded seams I was curious how companies could claim 40-50% weight reductions.
Well it isn't from saving thread! Which is what I was wondering...its from being able to use less materials to form the seams..belt loops things like that. Clothing should be able to be more form fitting ..in theory traping more body it with less weight etc....

Now what sleeping bag would I be thinking of trying in an air flilled tent..?
Well Marmot's...Helium EQ... sleeping bag.
Don't worry ...I doubt if it's really made with Helium.....ummm.... well not yet any ways.

Last edited: