Nordic Fitness Walking: Demo & Class May 13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
Excerpted from today's Coos County Democrat:

Nordic walking expert coming to Great Glen on May 13
05/10/2006 - PINKHAM NOTCH — The fitness activity with an estimated five million European participants is catching on in the United States. On Saturday, May 13, from 9 a.m. to noon, Nick Mahood, Nordic Walking Director for Swix Sport USA, will be at the Great Glen Trails Outdoor Center on Route 16 in Pinkham Notch. Nick will have Nordic walking poles to try and will provide tips on using the poles properly during this free introductory demonstration. At 10 a.m. the first session of Great Glen's spring Nordic Walking class begins, led by Olympian and fitness expert Sue Wemyss. The class will last one hour and will be offered on four consecutive Saturdays. Those wishing to join the class or the complete four-week program should sign up prior to the 10 a.m. start. According to Mr. Mahood, a UNH grad and national caliber cross-country ski racer, "Once you try it you are hooked!"

Nordic walking is the new fitness trend, which offers increased benefits over walking. By engaging the upper body muscles at the same time as the lower body through the active use of poles, this activity increases the demand on one's cardiovascular system, while reducing the stress on weight-bearing joints. This increased demand leads to greater heart and lung conditioning and up to 40 percent higher calorie burn over walking without poles.

The smooth packed gravel trails through the meadows and forest of Great Glen Trails are ideal for Nordic walking. There are currently three specific courses mapped and signed for the public to enjoy, ranging from the mostly flat beginner course of 2.5 kilometers, to the hilly seven-kilometer advanced course. Nordic walking poles are available for use or sale at the Outdoor Center on a daily basis. While individuals are welcome to use the trails for Nordic walking on their own, Ms. Wemyss encourages taking a class or getting some initial instruction. "Using the proper technique will help you maximize the physical benefits that can be realized from Nordic walking." What does she like best about Nordic walking? "You get to improve your fitness while you are outside in nature, breathing fresh air and seeing beautiful sites."

. . . .For more information about events and activities at Great Glen Trails call 466-2333 or visit www.GreatGlenTrails.com.

Heh heh...kinda reminds me of the Mall Walking craze!!!

Gee...lets arrange some hikes, and include poles, and call it Nordik Fitness Walking, the European fitness secret that sweeping the nation!!!

:cool:

It may be a gimic (and, in fact, I'm certain it is), but it sounds a helluvalot better than sitting on the couch all weekend. Plus, it is gaining popularity, people are getting into it, and they have the facilities. Sounds like good business to me.

Anyone remember the jogging or internet fads? ;)

Definately not Mall Walking

una_dogger said:
Heh heh...kinda reminds me of the Mall Walking craze!!!

Gee...lets arrange some hikes, and include poles, and call it Nordik Fitness Walking, the European fitness secret that sweeping the nation!!!

:cool:
Una, try it, it's a fun way to get outside and work out when you can't be in the woods. Compared to the cost of a nordic walking machine it's cheap and unlike the machine gets you outdoors.

NW has been around for quite a while, ten years or more, but has only become popular on the east coast the last couple of years. The local HS XC team does it in the off season (all winter this year :( ). Anything that encourages Americans to get outside and move is IMO a good thing.

And, IMHO, walking with poles is not a whole lot different than hiking with poles.

I was a skeptic at first but after two years I'm still using it as part of my fitness regimen. Initially you don't need to purchase the poles just find some old ski poles about the right height and add rubber tips for pavement. Long term, the straps on the walking poles help to avoid issues (e.g., carpel tunnel) with gripping the poles too tightly.

For walking in the suburbs the poles keep cars from coming too close and the occasional loose aggressive dog at bay. :)

If Great Glen wants to promote it – good for them. I can't bicycle because of some complications from childbirth (hip and coccyx). My family takes their bikes to Great Glen once in a while. I would definitely take my poles there and walk around the next time they go. :)

Trendy? Who me?

4000'er said:
Trendy I am not

I used to think hiking with poles was "trendy" until I tried them recently and noticed my 47+ year old knees were happier post hike. I used to think synthetic wicking shirts were trendy but then I noticed how much more comfortable I was at summits (but I still prefer cotton).

In graduate school my apartment mates (who admitted that their only outdoor experience was walking to their cars) were having a cocktail party and joked that I could only attend if I wore something besides levis, a flannel shirt and sneakers or hiking boots. I went hiking instead. :D