north dome/sherill & halcott

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
Where is the parking area for Halcoot? I stopped one time at a waterfalls on rt 42 and there was a small parking area there. I have never seen any cars parked there in all my travels down that route.

I am doing westkill from the west so I will finally have walked on the whole devils path. Where about is the area were you turn of to do north dome and sherill. Looks like it shold be right around where the trail bends.

If you parked on the southbound side of 42, just around the high point of rt 42 with the waterfall just to your south, that is the parking area for Halcott.. There is a big kiosk there too that indicates you're in the right place. It's just a big shoulder/pulloff..

It's been a bit since I've been west of westkill but yeah, the turnoff for NorthDome is sort of at the place where the DP turns east, though you can head up North Dome once you hit state property as the lower section is private. It makes for a less steep approach to ND.. I'm sure others will chime in here..

Jay

Where is the parking area for Halcoot? I stopped one time at a waterfalls on rt 42 and there was a small parking area there. I have never seen any cars parked there in all my travels down that route.

I am doing westkill from the west so I will finally have walked on the whole devils path. Where about is the area were you turn of to do north dome and sherill. Looks like it shold be right around where the trail bends.

The parking area with the waterfall is indeed the parking area for Halcott.

The turn off for North Dome and Sherril is in the col, right where the trails takes a left hand turn to follow the ridge line east. There's a nice map here of the route.

The turn off for North Dome and Sherril is in the col, right where the trails takes a left hand turn to follow the ridge line east. There's a nice map here of the route.
They can also be accessed from the other side, on Rt. 42. Look for Shaft Rd. There is a State parking area there.

See also current thread on ADKHPs

Last edited:
North Dome and Sherill are part of the Stinging Nettle Wilderness Area.
I almost went insane the weekend I hiked those two in August a few years back. Headed up the est slope of North Dome like Jay said right about where the Devil's Path heads east. Very steep climb up from what i remember and full of nettles.
Either way...have a good trip.