North Face Baltoro Boots HV 400

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerry13

Reaction score
Otter River, Mass Avatar: Leisurely winter hike o
Last year I bought a pair NF Baltoro boots for winter hiking. I used them about 10 times. I recently was pulling out all my winter stuff and was looking at the tread on my boots. Along the outer edge many of the rubber tread cleats have broken off and those that remain generally have large tears which mean they will fall off during the next use. Has anyone else had a similar problem with Baltoro boots? I checked all my other non winter boots, which I would think would take a much worse beating, and none of them have any similar destruction. Most of the time I had stabilizers, crampons or snowshoes on which should have provided additional protection to the soles. I'm concerned because the remaining tread is likely going to create some instability with foot plants over time and likely lead to twisted ankles or orthodic problems. Anyone have any experience with exchanging products a year old at EMS (I can't find my slip but I have the box) or should I go directly to North Face? The boots were great except for this problem. Thanks for any input.

I used mine about 7 times last winter and used strap-on crampons without any problems or wear. I'll keep an eye on them, the crampons barely fit these wide monsters. I haven't had any experience with EMS returns.

My experience with EMS and REI is that they are outstanding about taking back items that have worn out. These boots have not been used for long - I would be suprised if they will not help you out.

If you want to get them fixed then just contact North Face. I've had pretty good luck with outdoor sports companies in the past replacing and fixing stuff for free, they're usually good about it. Not sure about North Face, though.

If you want a replacement and fast... Take it to EMS. Without a receipt you'll get store credit which you can use to get the newer boots. The hard part is seeing how much you paid for them at the time (your boots are clearanced right now and will ring up at a lower price). Do you have access to credit card statements from when you bought it?

As far as returning stuff to EMS - they're great about it. So great that I've seen someone use a kayak for 3 years, get tired of it and return it all beat up.

Last edited:

Latest posts