Northern Presidentials on Sunday 8/12/2007???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
Sunday is the only choice for me this weekend but the weather forecast looks pretty good, at least from here.

Is anybody interested in a hike on the Northern Presidentials for Sunday? I’ve got a couple ideas (listed in my order of preference):

1. Jefferson, Adams, and Madison traverse

With a car spot we can hike a small traverse from Jefferson Notch via Caps Ridge, Gulfside, and Airline or Valley Way with a loop over Adams and the Osgood up and down on Madison.

Distance and Elevation: 10.3 miles and 4,100 feet

Book time: ~7hr. 12min.

It looks like this option gets three for less than the price of two, which would be my preference for the day. Hiking Caps Ridge at the start saves an initial elevation of 1,702 feet. Jefferson Notch is at an elevation of 3,008 and Appalachia has an elevation of 1,306.

2. Jefferson, Adams, and Madison round trip from Jefferson Notch

Without a car spot a round trip from Jefferson Notch is a workable hike. Make a u-turn on Madison and head south on Gulfside, Cornice, and Caps Ridge back to the vehicle. Of course, there’s no need to loop over the summits on the way out.

Distance and Elevation: 12.7 miles and 4,850 feet

Book time: ~8hr. 45min.

3. Madison and Adams from Appalachia.

This is probably something like up Valley Way and Osgood to Madison then to Adams, and possibly out via Airline.

Distance and Elevation: 9.9 miles and 5,050 feet

Book time: ~7hr. 30min.

I hike at a moderate pace which is usually somewhere around book time. If the conditions turn out as currently forecast it may become a little more than book time.

If you’re interested in this hike please respond to this thread or by PM and we’ll work out the details.

Of course, this hike requires good weather conditions.

:)

The plans are a little better focused now.

We'll be hiking from Appalachia and most likely hiking a loop heading first to Thunderstorm Junction via several trails including the Spur Trail on the West side of King Ravine and possibly a stop at Crag Camp. After hitting Adams we'll head for the Madison Hut and Mt. Madison. The exit plan is Valley Way.

If you're interested respond to the thread or by PM for other details.

:)