Nov 17 & 18; Carters and Moriah via 19 Mile & Stoney Brook

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Paradox, me and a friend of his plan to spot cars on 16 at Stoney Brook Trail and 19 Mile Brook, hike to Carter Dome via the Notch, then to Hight, So. Carter, Middle, North to Imp and tent at Imp Campsite on Saturday (about 11 1/2 miles). Sunday will be an out and back for Moriah and then down Stoney Brook Trail (about 7 1/2 miles).

Post here or PM me if you have questions and would like to join us.

I'm also tossing around the idea of joining you and turning it into a day trip for me. I will be hiking somewhere up there on Sat., but can't do an overnight. Also, I must check with he who is sometimes referred to as the "dogsitter" as to whether he wants to hike with me Sat. ,in which case we'd have two dogs in tow and have to opt for something tamer, or not. If not, then I'm more flexible. Will also PM you, probably Thursday.

I am considering (some portion(s) of ) this trip. Attached is a zip with an XLS which contains the cumulative distances, elevations and times, from the WMG #27... for Nineteen Mile Brook Trail to Carter Dome via Carter Moriah Trail and over South Carter, Middle Carter, North Carter and Moriah, with an exit down Stony Brook Trail.

End to end without the camping trip works out to be 17.9 miles, 5700' and 11:50. That's LONG day with far less than 12 hours of daylight. One permutation I'd be up for is getting off at North Carter and down Imp... meaning someone could pick me up coming south from Stony Brook to 19 M...

Day 1 is 10.8 mi, 4700'
Day 2 is 7.1 mi, 1000'

(not counting the .2 mi each way down to the Imp camp site)

Tim

Last edited:
Tim, Early Bird is thinking the same thing for Saturday, dropping down Imp Trail, so that may work well for you.

Plan is to meet at 19 Mile Brook TH between 6:15 and 6:30 on the 17th with a firm start at 6:45.

:eek: Oh boy. I somehow thought this was for tomorrow. Hmmm. May or may not make it next weekend. Darn... I am heading up north there in about an hour or so and hiking tomorrow. Don't know what though. If I'm free the 17th I'll save the Carters. The good news, Bikehikeskifish, is that we could drive up now, maybe. :eek:

Chip said:
Tim, Early Bird is thinking the same thing for Saturday, dropping down Imp Trail, so that may work well for you.

Plan is to meet at 19 Mile Brook TH between 6:15 and 6:30 on the 17th with a firm start at 6:45.

Everyone is welcome to stay at my house Friday night. We have extra beds, tons of floor space and three showers. I'll make my famous protein/berry smoothies in the morning for anyone interested.

Mapsource tells me the travel time from my house to trailhead is 1:33. I figure leaving my house at 4:30am gets us at the trailhead at start of twilight.

My house is located at NAD27 central 19 T 286204 4848389, or 28 Trivett Lane, Holderness, NH 03245.

I will be in Concord, NH for some work related seminars most of the day Friday and should arrive home about 5:00pm. PM me, so that I can let my wife (Sue) know how many and if you need further directions.