NW passage (attempt) ship found 150 years later

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool! Do you think they found cotton? That may be what doomed the expedition.
They were icebound, not frozen. Most of the men were rescued.

Lead poisoning (from solder used to seal tin cans) has also been found to be a serious problem on those expeditions. Scurvy was also a serious problem.

The Inuit, however, had no problems with lead or scurvy...

Doug

Last edited:

Doug

Nor did they have problems with the Northwest Passage.

"Don't be a naughty eskimo, save your money and don't goto the show"

They were icebound, not frozen. Most of the men were rescued.

Lead poisoning (from solder used to seal tin cans) has also been found to be a serious problem on those expeditions. Scurvy was also a serious problem.

Doug

What a know-it-all! I read the article! Maybe you're forgetting that cotton doesn't just kill people (and there were two of those, right?); here, it killed the whole trip!

Maybe they were just mad for fruit salad.

So, smarty-pants, how did the eski -- uh, Inuit -- keep from getting scurvy? And what was the effect of the introduction of firearms on their culture? (Have a friend who did his doctoral thesis on this.)

What a know-it-all! I read the article! Maybe you're forgetting that cotton doesn't just kill people (and there were two of those, right?); here, it killed the whole trip!
There was nothing in the article that suggested that cotton was an important factor forcing the abandonment of the Investigator.

So, smarty-pants, how did the eski -- uh, Inuit -- keep from getting scurvy?
Fresh meat and fish (major components of the Inuit diet, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilhjalmur_Stefansson#Low-carbohydrate_diet_of_meat_and_fish but not the European sailor diet) contain vitamin C. The Inuit also didn't cook their food heavily which minimized the destruction of the available vitamin C.

A number of European (particularly the British) explorers of the far north ignored the native survival techniques and paid the price.

Some worthwhile books on the topic are:
* "The Arctic Grail: the Quest for the Northwest Passage and The North Pole, 1818-1909", by Pierre Berton. (Includes a chapter on McClure and the Investigator.)
* Several of the books by Vilhjalmur Stefansson, an explorer of the Canadian Arctic. (Info on how traditional Inuit lived.) Sorry, I don't remember any specific titles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilhjalmur_Stefansson

Doug

Last edited:
Interesting that some members of the Franklin expedition suffered from the effects of scurvy despite having 4200 kilograms of lemon juice on board the Erebus and the Terror.

Several searches of sources of vitamin C did not mention fish at all but another search mentioned caribou meat (an Inuit staple) which alone would have given them enough vitamin C to stave off scurvy. Another search also mentioned other Inuit foods such as seaweeds, lichens, fungi, ferns,
conifers, berries and flowering plants which contained vitamin C.

While solder joints on cans is a sure source of lead contamination it certainly was not the only source of lead in 19th century British expeditions which used lead glazed pottery and tableware. The storage of acidic foods and drinks such as lemon juice, pickles, wine and vinegar in such pottery would dissolve lead salts and would have been a significant contributor to lead contamination. Tobacco, tea and other foods were stored in containers with lead foil. Food coloring, pewterware and even lead-wicked candles also contributed to the lead problem on these expeditions. This information came from the book, Frozen In Time - The Fate of the Franklin Expedition by Owen Beattie and John Geiger.

JohnL

I just did a quick scan of a portion of "The Arctic Grail" that dealt with McClure and the Investigator. It appears that the ship was provisioned for two years*, but it was four years before they were rescued. The men were starving and lucky to survive at all.

* They did obtain some additional food by hunting.

There was also a comment to the effect that the British sailors customarily wore wool. (pg 213.)

The modus operandi of these explorers was to let their ships freeze into the ice (~September) over winter and wait until they thaw out next summer (ie by July or so). Hopefully they could sail into a harbor before freezing in to protect the ships from ice floes, but sometimes they became stuck in "open (frozen) ocean" (very dangerous). Or sometimes, the summer thaw never came... McClure's first winter was in an open channel, the second in an open bay, and his ship never thawed out after the second winter.

These were sailing ships in unpredictable ice. There was no guarantee that they could sail a desired route or that, once frozen in, they would be released before they ran out of provisions. Of course, their ships could also be crushed by the ice...

There are short accounts of McClure's expedition at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McClure_Arctic_Expedition and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Passage#McClure_expedition and a brief history of the Northwest Passage at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Passage.

I last read "The Arctic Grail" ~15 years ago and recalled that it was and exciting and enjoyable read. My scan confirmed my previous assessment--I highly recommend it.

Doug

Last edited:
I last read "The Arctic Grail" ~15 years ago and recalled that it was and exciting and enjoyable read. My scan confirmed my previous assessment--I highly recommend it.

Doug

Have you read Fatal Passage: The Story of John Rae by Ken McGoogan? (Brief wiki account:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_Passage.) The author credits Rae with discovering the location of John Franklin's remains, and has a low opinion of McClure. From page 261: "McClure conceived a sinister plan to rid himself of his thirty sickest men..." [by sending them on death marches via two sledge parties]. He and his men were discovered instead by a party from the Resolute. "McClure, who had abandoned the Investigator under protest, and contrived to destroy most of the journals his officers had kept, later argued that sledging across the pack ice to the Resolute constituted a 'completion' of the Northwest Passage."

When he was twenty, Rae, a physician, spent the winter of 1834 on Charlton Island in what is now called Nunavut. When the men on his expedition started suffering from scurvy, Rae tried spruce beer, which didn't work (boiling the spruce destroyed the vitamin C). Two men died before spring, when Rae found supplies of vetch and cranberries.

Have you read Fatal Passage: The Story of John Rae by Ken McGoogan? (Brief wiki account:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_Passage.) The author credits Rae with discovering the location of John Franklin's remains, and has a low opinion of McClure. From page 261: "McClure conceived a sinister plan to rid himself of his thirty sickest men..." [by sending them on death marches via two sledge parties]. He and his men were discovered instead by a party from the Resolute. "McClure, who had abandoned the Investigator under protest, and contrived to destroy most of the journals his officers had kept, later argued that sledging across the pack ice to the Resolute constituted a 'completion' of the Northwest Passage."
No, I haven't read "Fatal Passage", but Rae gets quite a few pages in "The Arctic Grail".

There are also a number of comments on McClure's treatment of his men in "The Arctic Grail".

McClure appears to have been a man of extremes. Sometimes he took great risks, sometimes he was cautious. Sometimes he was very harsh on his men, sometimes he was kind to them. This was the British Navy (life on a British military ship was often very harsh).

He also was concerned with his place in history--he had found a link which completed the Northwest Passage, even if it wasn't practical and he was unable to sail it himself (due to ice). Rae later found a better variation.

Remember too, they were exploring the unknown in crushable wooden sailing ships in an unpredictable and dangerous area with very limited communications*, limited hope of rescue, and no idea of where the others were. (At one point, one of his sledging parties was within 60 miles of a sledging party from another ship.) Their decisions should be judged upon what they knew at the time of the decision, not what we know now**. Sometimes abandoning the weak means that some rather than none survive. In this case, McClure was overruled (getting the men from the Investigator to the Resolute took 17 days of sledging) and he ultimately lost only five men over the five years away from the UK--probably a good record even in good conditions.

* Communications consisted of leaving notes in cairns along the shore in the hopes that others would find them. It was noted in "The Arctic Grail" that had he left more notes, he would likely have been rescued sooner.

** He had taken some big risks with his ship and crew, but chose a safer harbor for his second winter. Had he chosen to spend the winter out in open (frozen) water, he likely would have been able to sail the passage and return in two years. Hindsight is cheap.

Doug

Last edited:
Jay H said:
This is going to be very interesting in terms of what they find on board and around...

after 3 years of scavanging, I doubt there's much left but the boat.

--M. said:
Very cool! Do you think they found cotton? That may be what doomed the expedition.

:) I got the joke.

Puck said:
"Don't be a naughty eskimo, save your money and don't goto the show"

mmm...Zappa...

Doug

mmmm...nerooka...

The modus operandi of these explorers was to let their ships freeze into the ice (~September) over winter and wait until they thaw out next summer (ie by July or so). Hopefully they could sail into a harbor before freezing in to protect the ships from ice floes, but sometimes they became stuck in "open (frozen) ocean" (very dangerous). Or sometimes, the summer thaw never came... McClure's first winter was in an open channel, the second in an open bay, and his ship never thawed out after the second winter.
Some of the early explorers deliberately chose spots near Hudsons Bay posts or Inuit villages, but later on they would try to go as far as they could before freezing in. It doesn't seem to have occurred to them that there is a 50% chance that next summer would be colder and they wouldn't unfreeze.

** He had taken some big risks with his ship and crew, but chose a safer harbor for his second winter. Had he chosen to spend the winter out in open (frozen) water, he likely would have been able to sail the passage and return in two years. Hindsight is cheap.
Unlikely, remember that the Resolute which was further E stayed frozen in and was abandoned, later to become Barack Obama's desk.

Suppose you travel the whole A.T. by hiking the trail sections and driving the road sections. You haven't HIKED the A.T. but you have TRAVERSED it. Similarly, McClure and crew were the first to TRAVERSE the NW passage although they didn't SAIL it (even to the extent that travel by steamship is called sailing.)

Some of the early explorers deliberately chose spots near Hudsons Bay posts or Inuit villages, but later on they would try to go as far as they could before freezing in. It doesn't seem to have occurred to them that there is a 50% chance that next summer would be colder and they wouldn't unfreeze.
I'm sure they knew the risks (but could only guess at the probabilities)--they carried several years of provisions because they expected that the trip could easily take more than one year. And the probability of remaining frozen in was, on the average, less than 50%--a colder summer might still be warm enough to melt out a particular location. (The probability also depends on temp of the current summer.)

DougPaul said:
He had taken some big risks with his ship and crew, but chose a safer harbor for his second winter. Had he chosen to spend the winter out in open (frozen) water, he likely would have been able to sail the passage and return in two years.
Unlikely, remember that the Resolute which was further E stayed frozen in and was abandoned, later to become Barack Obama's desk.
Not my speculation. Just after the Investigator holed up in Mercy Bay:
[quote="The Arctic Grail", pg 228]
The critical Dr. Armstrong felt, as did some of the others, that McClure should have taken his chances and gone on to Parry's Winter Harbour or even to a berth farther east, thus completing the transit of the North West Passage. It's more than possible that he might have accomplished that feat. A few days later, his sailing master, Stephen court, found open water as far as the eye could see beyond Point Back, a promontory seven miles distant that had an unobstructed view of the channel. [/quote]

The above occurred soon after the Investigator entered Mercy Bay (fall 1851). The rescue by the Resolute occurred after two winters had passed (spring 1853) and ice conditions could have been very different.

Ultimately, they just had make their best guess and go with it.

Doug

Latest posts