Nye summit? Did I acctually make it???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dom15931

Reaction score
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30698

It is the second post in the trip report above. There is a link to pictures at the bottom of the Nye section of the trip report. I need some skilled eyes, recent accounts, and maybe some recent photos to confirm if I made it to the actual summit of Nye Mtn. There has been significant blowdown in recent years and I DID NOT find a sign or marker in place. Any info is appreciated. Please post in the above thread.

I am pretty sure I got it...but without a sign I want to be sure.

Thanks,

Dom

Last edited:
It looks like the summit to me. I checked out the pictures, and the landscape shots are more telling than the "summit" pics. The wooden sign has been down for quite awhile now. But the yellow disk should still be there (it was as recently as this March). It's on the summit, on an evergreen, about 8 feet or more off the ground. It's kind of easy to miss if you don't look up. But there really isn't a herd path after the summit, so you would probably know if you had gone too far.

Thanks so much guys for the reassurance. The more research I did into it the more I felt I had made it. I was looking at more trip reports online, and that tree behind me on my summit photo did actually fall over in recent years. I found photos that definitely had shown a double conifer with a red disk and then the same tree tipped over with a red disk. It looks to be the same tipped tree in my pic with no disk.

I needed reassurance from those that had been there! Thanks again. I don't know how I missed the yellow disk...maybe it is because I am short!?:cool:

Yeah looks like you did make it. Basically if you come to a level type summit where there is no where to go but back the way you came then you were there :)

If thats the case I got it. The only other summit was due north and a few more tenths of a mile away...but the topo map shows that.

Which topo map? Nye's summit and thereabouts is wrong in the newest USGS map.

ADK High Peaks trail map is what I used, not USGS. I noticed that on the new usgs they did label a lower summit "Nye Mountain"

Here is a self drawing of the trail with appox contours of (20') and the trail. This is a rough drawing based on my memory, but the general nature of the trail from the junction to the "summit" and the existence of a more distant summit is accurate in a relative sense. This is what the terrain was like and where I ended up. The trail almost hooked or circled back as drawn. The top of the drawing shows what I mean by the second summit. There is a reasonable drop off in between the two summits of what looked about 60 to 80'. I think this is labeled on the newer USGS as Nye and is slightly lower.

Last edited:
ADK High Peaks trail map is what I used, not USGS. I noticed that on the new usgs they did label a lower summit "Nye Mountain"

Here is a self drawing of the trail with appox contours of (20') and the trail. This is a rough drawing based on my memory, but the general nature of the trail from the junction to the "summit" and the existence of a more distant summit is accurate in a relative sense. This is what the terrain was like and where I ended up. The trail almost hooked or circled back as drawn. The top of the drawing shows what I mean by the second summit. There is a reasonable drop off in between the two summits of what looked about 60 to 80'. I think this is labeled on the newer USGS as Nye and is slightly lower.

I'm not sure you will be truly satisfied until you go back.

Well, the ADK gets their map from the USGS. They just add names, trails, etc. They remained with the older survey due to the mistakes in the newer one.
Here is a self drawing of the trail with appox contours of (20') and the trail. ....
Yeah, that's it. But, like Rik said, if you want to be sure, go at the end of the summer, after I put up a sign.

Thanks to all who replied

I have received a post with a recent picture link in my trip report that gives me assurance that I was there. I am also now 100% positive I was there after viewing this pic. Everything is in order in both my and the forum member's pic and with my memory. It looks like the way the sun was shining I didn't look up. The disk appears to be very high in a tree and I was looking around eye level only...expecting a sign or a cairn.