NYT article on the Tunnel Creek avalanche

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started reading this at work this evening... er... I mean after work. Holy cow, long article, but really engrossing format. I wonder if this is going to be the new trend. I can see the news becoming much more interesting :)

Only about a third of the way in so far. I wonder if I can finish it all before bedtime without being a zombie tomorrow.

Thanks for posting. The text alone is incredibly moving. With the visuals, personal videos, diagrams, interviews it's a must read.

I came across Saugstad's review by chance on backcountry this summer when looking into avy gear. Powerful stuff.
saugstad.jpg

Finished the article late last night, and... whoah. I must have been living under a rock all year, because I never knew about the incident. Strange to think-- I think I walked right by where the avalanche was a few years ago, since the PCT goes over the summit of Stevens Pass.

I only went back and watched the videos after reading the whole thing. The "real time avalanche" video really hammers home the fact that the folks caught in the slide got carried a loooooong way.

Brilliantly designed piece - really engaging reading with the visuals. Some interesting lessons about how group dynamics, peer pressure, and skiing status can intersect in a dangerous way.

Brilliantly designed piece - really engaging reading with the visuals. Some interesting lessons about how group dynamics, peer pressure, and skiing status can intersect in a dangerous way.
Well put Tim. I would also add the learning of the ABC's of Avalanche awareness and heeding those lessons is one of the most humble things that any backcountry user can employ.

Wow, that's long. But good. I'm a newbie to backcountry skiing and learning slowly, but the group I go with, most of whom are close to experts and have been doing this for 30+ years, have several rules that this group didn't seem to have: when things look sketchy, travel in groups of 4 to minimize burying your friends- other groups can go later or go to another place on the hill; dig a pit and see what happens; consider a plan B or C if it's snowed a lot in the previous day or so; and, most importantly, if even a single member of the group is uncomfortable about the conditions, everyone needs to STOP and think hard about doing something else. Then again, most of us are 40+ and have kids, so there is plenty more to consider!