Où est le boeuf ? Thinsulate in boots ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
related topic...

I buy lots of stuff from these guys...good cheap price,ok quality.lots of the coats and military surplus stuff smells like mold and basement.Good campfire winter gear.Thanks for the info on the boots,was wondering about the thinsulate...

I don't want to sound as a smarta$$ but thinsulate is named because it is thin and still provides excellent (allegedly) insulation for the lack of thickness.

So, it might be wedged between the inner fabric and the outer fabric to privide additional warmth and because it is thin it might not look like much.

For winter warmth I think, number one for warmth is insulating yourself from the cold ground - thicker soles preferred. Think of it as a mattress between your sleeping bag and the cold ground.

Then the insulation around your foot and ankle to add warmth.

Last edited:
Yeah so true. A while ago I had these boots, thinsulate this and thinsulate that. My feet were freezing. I figured I just wasn't insulated enough from the ground.

Also I got these 12 years old LLBean Winter Boots. Great Leather, thick, liners with thinsulate and thick sole for insulation. I think what makes them warm is 90% the separation from the snow and the rest are my hiking socks and then the Thinsulate is like a cherry on top.

Just bought a pair of boots like these for winter hacking around. I bought them for the 400 grams of Thinsulate. Where is that Thinsulate ? All around ? In the sole ? The in-sole ? I ask because the boots seem too thin to be very warm, but I haven't had them outside in the real cold yet.

I have a pair like that with 1200 grams, they're heavy but never cold. Not something for a long hike, more like low activity in real cold stuff like a hunter sitting in a blind or hanging around camp.