Offering first aid -

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby

Reaction score
Saturday, I hiked Mt. Washington with a group. On our way down Tuck's headwall, one of our group saw a man fall, and was slow to get up (I didn't see the fall.) A person at the front of the line yelled for me to get down the trail (I had the first aid kit.) Due to traffic on the trail, it took a few minutes for me to get to where he was. When I got to the man he was sitting up and he seemed alert. He was aware of what happened, and said that he when he fell, he got the wind knowcked out of him. I asked a few questions - did you hit your head, can you move your arms and legs - do you want some bandages for your scrapes. He gave the right answers and appeared to be in control.

We moved on, but I began to wonder, what more could we have done. He declined all offers of assistance, and didn't appear to have injuries other than a scrape on his leg and another on his hand. Is there any more we could/should have done?

No. You offered to help a rational person who declined in a rational way. At that point, you have discharged every reasonable obligation. Feel good if you wish, but certainly don't feel your response was inadequate.

Unless of course you're not telling the whole story...!

Based on your description: you came to the aid of a hiker who had fallen; he wasn't seriously hurt; he seemed ok in the head; you offered assistance and he declined.

Seems to me you did the right thing by making sure he was ok and then moving on. Nice job.

Maybe a quick heads up to the ranger / caretaker at Hermit Lakes, but that's about it.

Bobby said:
We moved on, but I began to wonder, what more could we have done. He declined all offers of assistance, and didn't appear to have injuries other than a scrape on his leg and another on his hand. Is there any more we could/should have done?

If he was an adult or an emancipated minor and has command of his faculties I.e. he is orientated to who he is, where he is, what day and time it is, and the event. He is AAOx4 (alert and oriented times 4). If he refuses treatment there is little you can do except talk to him and explain why you think he might need further assistance. Remember, what is your alternative? To start wrestling around on the ground with him to help him? :D Putting your hands on someone, no matter how well meaning, on someone who says he doesn't want help is assault. A criminal offense.

Feel good in knowing that regardless of the outcome you did everything you could legally do without getting a doctor or law enforcement involved or getting yourself in trouble. :thumbsup:

Good job,
Keith

SAR-EMT40 said:
Remember, what is your alternative? To start wrestling around on the ground with him to help him? :D Putting your hands on someone, no matter how well meaning, on someone who says he doesn't want help is assault. A criminal offense.

No, a trail fight is not what I needed :D. The guy seemed alert and gave good answers, and we didn't want to get into harassing him. At the time, we felt we did what we could, but wondered if we could have done more, short of forcing treatment on him.

Bobby said:
No, a trail fight is not what I needed :D. The guy seemed alert and gave good answers, and we didn't want to get into harassing him. At the time, we felt we did what we could, but wondered if we could have done more, short of forcing treatment on him.
Short answer is no. You have a person who is aware and not concerned, there's really nothing else you can do. The only thing I could suggest is let them know that if they find themselves feeling faint or woozy, to pay attention to their body and stop to rest. Pushing yourself on them will alienate them and they won't trust you if they decide they need help later.

Bobby said:
IMO, the only other thing you could do at that point was to hike with him, again if he did not object. That might provide some enjoyable company and would enable you to be there if problems developed later.

Doug

This reminds me of an interesting situation we had in Baxter SP a few years ago.

We had just gotten up on Pamola and were preparing for the Knife Edge when we saw a woman lying in the Chimney col with her head on a guy's knee. Saying, "What a romantic place," we scrambled down to find not a romantic couple but blood spattered everywhere and a bandage around her head. She had just fallen 12 feet off the rocks I was about to ascend. That did it for me, and I decided instead to descend with the injured woman in case she needed a hand. It took us 6 hours to go down the Taylor Trail, and people coming up had already heard about the accident and were offering help. A ranger soon showed up and wouldn't leave until he had checked her out - he was a bit too forceful for my taste, especially after Marge told him she's a WFR and gave him a good report.

I know they take their duties very seriously, but he really wouldn't take no for an answer. I momentarily thought he was going to not let her walk out under her own power!

Still, his concern and offers of help from everyone were heartening.

audrey said:
A ranger soon showed up and wouldn't leave until he had checked her out - he was a bit too forceful for my taste, especially after Marge told him she's a WFR and gave him a good report.

I know they take their duties very seriously, but he really wouldn't take no for an answer. I momentarily thought he was going to not let her walk out under her own power!

Still, his concern and offers of help from everyone were heartening.

You can be verbally aggressive, within reason, about questioning and trying to convince them to allow you to check them but you really have to be careful about putting your hands on someone who says they don't want to be checked. If they really want to push it you will be charged with assault. This is especially true about guys putting their hands on women. I don't know his level of medical training but he better be careful. You do not have the right to impose your will on someone else if they are in command of their faculties regardless of their motivation. The law does not distinguish.

Keith