? on hikes near Los Angles

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Going to LA this weekend for a family reunion...might be able to go out for a few hours on Fri and Sat.....any ideas on simple hikes?
4-6 hours
app 5-6 miles
no more than 1500 vertical ft (knee still sore)..ok maybe a little higher..

or just views of falls, rivers, you know....nature stuff....state parks....

I'm leaving tomorrow night so i can't really research...thx ...

I may be wrong with my timing but Antelope Valley may have a desert poppy bloom which is beautiful. OK you will be walking aroung a flat desert.

Thx puck...someone told me that i'll be near Malibu....heard it's very nice...i don't know a thing about the LA area...I'll google the place you told me...sounds interesting

I was out there a few years back, and did a LOT of hiking, but was "guided" by a relative, so I don't remember everything, (trailnames etc...) One hike entailed passing the "Balanced Rock", which was quite cool, and led to some very nice vistas. Another was out near Barstow (high desert) to a place called "The Devils Chair" very unique geology to view.

I'll inquire about more specific names and reply.... ;)

San Gabriel Peak and Mount Disappointment

There's a trail from the Angeles Crest Hwy. to San Gabriel Peak and Mount Disappointment that is about seven miles round trip and four hours long. There's a great view of Los Angeles, Pasadena, Arcadia, etc., when the air is clear.
San Gabriel Peak is prominent from Los Angeles and Pasadena and long thought to be the highest peak in the range. Actually, Strawberry Peak, due north, is three feet taller.
http://angeles.sierraclub.org/hps/l2a/hps12c.htm
Take Route 2 (Angeles Crest Hwy.) off Foothills Blvd in La Canada to Red Box Gap and follow the directions on the Sierra Club website.
It's about the same height as Lafayette and Adams but the air is very thin and you can get headaches if you spend the day up there. Bring a lot of water.
The road continues east to San Bernardino but you can take a spur road south to Glendora and head back west to Los Angeles. I did it east to west but I think the best parts are in the western area so now I would do it the other way, from La Canada.

Thx for the info..

adkleaddog...I just e mailed my aunt asking selfishly if someone around there (a cousin) would take me out for a drive somewhere to check out the nature areas..

jjmcgo....."thin air" sounds interesting.....i'm going to print out the info and see what the cousins think about it....

Will pack some gear just in case I get to go for a walk...thx for the help!...will let u know what happened..

You didn't say what part of LA you'll be visiting (it's huge), but if you'll be in the Malibu/west end, try the Santa Monica Mountains. Lots & lots of cool trails. :) Here's a map:

http://www.nps.gov/archive/samo/maps/maps.htm

I live in Ventura County now (and love it!)... if by chance you're going up the PCH as far as Pt. Mugu State Park, give a holler! :D

Surfer.Stinky

PS: You won't need your parka here. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Edit: Oops, you DID mention Malibu in your second post. Cool!

My aunt lives near Beverly Hills if that makes a difference...last time I was in LA was around 1992...

Got the nerve to tell my dad that I want to go site seeing, i'm 46 and still scared to tell him some things..his response was "no problem"...

gotta take the parka because the temps tomorrow night leaving NYC is app 15F...but took the bathing suit :cool:

SF..if i'm near you just let me know...

I'll echo what Stinkyfeet said and say that your options are huge. Southern CA has lots of trails in all kinds of terrain. I live there now as well - in the high desert near Ridgecrest (about an hour south of Whitney). Weather this week is terrific - it's warmed back up to near seasonal levels, so the nights here are around freezing and the days are in the low 60's, under bright sunshine. That's at around 2,500' - it's gets much colder as you get higher in elevation.

Enjoy Malibu - it's a neat place.

Thx guys, looks like I'll do some site seeing around the Malibu area....on another website someone told me about Mt. Baldy..pretty cool looking...going to wish I was staying there longer....I'm going to try and take my poles on the plane with my carry on...hope they allow them...

coldfeet said:
Thx guys, looks like I'll do some site seeing around the Malibu area....on another website someone told me about Mt. Baldy..pretty cool looking...going to wish I was staying there longer....I'm going to try and take my poles on the plane with my carry on...hope they allow them...
Hmmm ... I'd check the poles - being pointy things I doubt they'll allow them in the cabin.

David, Poles are definately no longer allowed in the cabin. You'll need to check them.

I hiked up Mt Baden Powell on the Pacfic Crest Trail in the Angeles Forest about a decade ago. I thought it was a great dayhike - especially the easy switchbacked trail and the huge Pine Trees that were scattered around. I always promised myself I would come back and spend a week there. Just haven't found the time yet....
It is about 2-2.5 hours from LA, IIRC. You might also check out localhikes.com with your relatives zip code.

Here are some Baden Powell websites that I found after a quick search.

http://www.simpsoncity.com/hiking/baden.html
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/recreation/hike-vincent2badenpowell.shtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Baden-Powell_(California)
http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/BadenPowell_4472.asp

An Email from my "guide"....

"Anyhow, my old stomping grounds included:
Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area - have them look at the
National Park website for details - I worked at Satwiwa Native American
Cultural Center in Thousand Oaks, and the park headquarters is located in
TO. 600 miles of trails to choose from.

California State Parks has trails in the Topanga Canyon area. Also, Devils
Punchbowl is very cool - just north of LA - a lot of climbers go there-not
sure if it is a state park, or county?

There is an extended bike trail along the ocean...I used to pick it up at
Ventura Beach (where they can visit the "Surfers Hall of Fame"!!)

Too many choices...they'll have to stay months, or until they run out of
margarita money."

I personally like the last line she wrote! :D i

You folks are awesome...so much info .....I can't check the poles because I'm carrying a small bag and switching planes in Chicago...i thought about buying new poles anyway..heard there is an REI out there...never been to one, maybe i'll buy new poles and ship them back...Carmel also sent me the link for local hikes....can't wait....will report back on this thread next week...David

Got back this am at 5:30 on a red eye...at work now teaching...I'm exhausted....will write up report probably on wednesday...very quickly report

will rogers night hike with the Twilight hikers...thx to them
Griffith park hike up to observatory and then up to the higher peak...don't recall the name...oh yea...walked to Gromans chinese place from there :eek:

sight seeing at the Getty museum up on the hills...awesome place..
took 150 pics will choose a few..thx for the help...

my knees took a beating...

Latest posts