On Umbagog

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
My family and I will be camping on a remote site (R-26, Tyler Point) at Lake Umbagog this week from Monday to Thursday.

If you are on the lake or in the neighborhood, stop by for some lemonade, loon listening or moose watching.

cb

ChrisB,
I spent 3 nights at that sight at the end of July with mtnmama, my 2 nephews and my granddaughter. Beautiful spot, you're in for a treat. We took the canoe up Rapid River to Cedar Stump campground for a picnic. We had it all to ourselves. It's approx 6 miles there. If you head up that way plan to do it early as the lake can get quite choppy in the afternoon.... One morning I took the kids for a swim. My older nephew John Henry is 14 and a very good swimmer. We swam way out beyond the point while the younger kids stayed near shore. I glanced up and saw two shapes out on the water. I didn't take much notice at first, but as they approached I realized that they were moose:confused:. I yelled up to mtnmama to get the camera. Then it occured to me that they might be trying to land where we were swimming:eek:! John and I swam frantically for shore and told Brandon and Kaylee to get out of the water. When the moose saw us they turned and headed around the point the other way. They seemed to be coming from the other side. Would moose swim all the way across? The wind was at their back, but the lake is close to 2 miles wide at that point. Keep your camera handy and get your chores done early so you can be ready for sunset at the bar. ;)

No Moose but...

Hi all,

We had a great five days on Umbagog with sunny and hot wx all the time. We had a power boat with us and were able to really explore the lake like never before (Geez there are a lot of rocks just below the surface!).

While we did not see any moose doing the dog-paddle, we did see lots of eagles around Tyler Point and also up on the the Andro.

And the loons sang us to sleep every night.

Sherpa, Cindy says the fishing was pretty good too!

Truly a magic place.

cb