Online/local mapping program...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
This is work related, I am wondering if there is a good online program similar to say a Maptech Terrain Navigator or Topo!, something that will allow me to accurately put in 2 points (lat/lon) and get a representation of where it is on the earth. If it can do multiple lines and also report distances, that would be great. I think Terrain Navigator will fit the bill, I know that it does distances and it should be able to plot a line out (at least for the area it is for, like the USA, or Northest USA. That is fine...

Is there a good online source? Would Google Earth allow me to do the above and or get distances? I have seen some java applets that allow me to do it but I'm looking for something that perhaps is easier than doing each line individually...

the below link has algorithms for plotting lines and seeing intersections, calculate bearings, etc..

http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html

Jay

I know Google earth has a measuring tool, but I think it's just point and click. I've never found any way to manually enter in the way points for it.

There is a layer that you can get for google earth that downloads topo maps and displays them instead of the satellite imagery, which is pretty nice for planning bushwhacks and whatnot.

Google Maps takes lat/lon. Go to maps.google.com and enter 44.270343,-71.303312 in the search box. They now have a plugin for Google Earth as well.

Tim

Yes, I know about that feature... the link I have above even has it on a terrain layer.. But that is just a point, I'd like to do a line segment (Much like the website I attached does but that is Java applet which I don't feel like modifying and would like to see if there is something that exists.. I know Terrain Navigator does it but I have that on a PC in NJ... I think Google earth will work if I can plot lines, but it's huge and before I download it.. thought I'd ask..

Jay

thanks Doug, I knew you would reply. Found out a friend of mine here actually has some experience in Quantum GIS so I am more likely going with that. I am able to implort coordinate points to a layer that contains a vectorized map of the state of Alaska, so I am exploring how to display lines and not points cause I have a vector file that I'd like to visualize... I figure I can import it via a .CSV file and have the GIS plot the coordinates, hopefully accurately and so I can visualize what I'm trying to do. Location is not too important for test purposes but the vectors I'm dealing with covers the earth...

Jay

thanks Doug, I knew you would reply. Found out a friend of mine here actually has some experience in Quantum GIS so I am more likely going with that. I am able to implort coordinate points to a layer that contains a vectorized map of the state of Alaska, so I am exploring how to display lines and not points cause I have a vector file that I'd like to visualize... I figure I can import it via a .CSV file and have the GIS plot the coordinates, hopefully accurately and so I can visualize what I'm trying to do. Location is not too important for test purposes but the vectors I'm dealing with covers the earth...
OK.

If it is a small task, then the path of least resistance is probably a good one. If it is a large task or one that will be done many times, then a little more investigation of alternatives might be worthwhile.

If whatever GIS you choose doesn't read CSV but will read GPX, it is very easy to write GPX files--just take an example and copy the format. (A text editor will do. Or if you wish to automate a conversion, a simple perl program would be a good way to do it.)

Doug

I have Quantum GIS working for me with a small plug in written in Python that converts the points to line segments... I have my program outputting vectors in a CSV (comma separated file) that QGIS can read and it looks like good data. Nice to be able to visualize these coordinates, rather than relying on Google Maps and just eyeballing things..

Thanks.. For my distance calculation, I have implemented a Haversine formula which uses a rough curvature of the earth to at least give a decent representation of the earth's ellipsoid shape.

Jay

I know Google earth has a measuring tool, but I think it's just point and click. I've never found any way to manually enter in the way points for it.
Google Earth allows you to easily do many things you never thought possible. You can enter lat/long directly and it will immediately take you there, leaving a marker icon if you wish. You can use the line or path tool and it will plot points that you click in a continuous path, and give you the accumulated distance. I used it extensively when preparing for the Yukon 1000 mile canoe race. I easily plotted 678 waypoints and the path between them just by clicking my way down the river, then downloaded them all, complete with lat/long to a spreadsheet.

From some fairly complex spreadsheet calculations (with a variable fudge factor for turn radii among many other options), each waypoint was labeled with its distance from the race start in tenths of a mile, and whether a left turn or right turn was coming up (LT/RT). They and the route were then re-loaded with labels from excel spreadsheet back into Google Earth. I never had to manually type a single number.

During the non-paddling winter months I trained by watching GE "fly" the route down the river in GE 3-D mode on a wide screen TV while I worked out on a paddling machine. I wrote a set of instructions in the spreadsheet for analysis and location predictions based on real time SPOT inputs so my pit crew could accurately estimate location for any future time on the 6-day long race.

Next I loaded all 678 waypoints and route between them into a GPS. During the race it was easy to correlate GPS waypoints, named by their mile number, with a 95-page book of waterproofed printed maps showing the same labeled points, and to set us up to turn the canoe toward the next waypoint even before leaving the last point. In the end the final actual distance as measured by GPS and calculated GE distance were off by less than 2%. That can be corrected next time by adjusting the fudge factor.

Here is a section of the river with waypoints in the 700 mile range from Whitehorse. Satellite imagery and coordinate registration of the river is far more accurate than topographic maps because the topo maps date from the 1950's and GE images are less than five years old in most places. Note, the river itself is about 4 miles wide in this section. In some sections I plotted more than one possible side route through the ever changing islands and shallow shoals, choice to be determined by actual conditions when we got there.
(in case anyone wants to do this race, don't even think to ask me for my waypoint list or spreadsheet calculation - you will never pry them away from my cold paddle-curled fingers :D )

Last edited: