OR Cascades beta needed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckyball1

Reaction score
hey--well, after some cool hikes in area of Rocky Mt Nt'l Park/Nederland, CO, i'm headed for OR on Wed and after a few days in Portland visiting daughter/son-in-law and tramping around Hood (no, not all the way up), i will be headed to Bend area for 5? days-i think i'll be centered/camping in Sisters/Bend/La Pine/Crescent and hope to get into a Nat'l Park campsite

i hope to visit Newberry Volcano Nat'l Monument/ Crater Lake/ Sisters-climb of S Sister on agenda-also Wizard Island in Crater

with that in mind, i'm looking for suggestions on moderate/vigorous half day type hikes (altitude/view preferred-steep walk-ups/scrambles OK--no tech/mountaineering :))--also any suggestions on specific campgrounds (one person tent)--and anything else cool/of note, etc

then it's back to 'whacks of nowhere ME peaks--been a long time

thanks
jim

Last edited:
We were out to Mt. Hood last July and climbed to the summit. That was our concentration, so I didn't do the research I wished afterwards I had. If I had done some study, I would have realized the treasure that is in the area by way of the Oregon Trail. I wished we had realized it was there and hiked more portions of it. We did several short stretches and they were beautiful. It's amazing what the pioneers accomplished. We stayed at two of the state campgrounds outside of Government Camp and they were both nice. (I don't have my books with me right now and don't remember their names. Sorry.)

Right next to South Sister, the obvious half-day hike would be Mt Bachelor. It's a ski area so it's not exactly a pristine wilderness experience.

Broken Top is even closer to South Sister, compared to Bachelor it's a longer approach from the road but if you camp at Green Lakes it could qualify as a half-day. Consider turning around below the summit - the top of the route is often done with ropes.

thanks for replies--i'm "in transit"--and my plans are just best guess w/o any experience there

--been up to 9300 on Hood in shorts , sneakers, cotton "T" 3 years ago on spontaneous hike :)--no gear with me-tramping near guys in full glacier gear, weird---stupid, but i was careful with perfect weather day--2 years ago this time i found 2' of snow on PCT and went nowhere--this year i hope to hike PCT from Timberline Lodge to Zig Zag canyon and then to Paradise Park--we'll see--backup hike is "Tom, Dick and Harry" near Government Camp

Broken Top "summit" is without doubt beyond my skill level--i may hike Tam McAuther Rim to Broken Hand or part way on Broken Top

Black Butte??

Bachelor was on my list as possible, especially if i can camp at NFS sites near there ans S Sister (my #1 priority)

also probable are

Newberry Volcano area and cave-possibly Mt Pauline??

Crater lake area with smallish hikes and/or boat to Wizard Island and hike of little Mountain there

hope to get some advice at Bend NFS offices

thanks

jim

--been up to 9300 on Hood in shorts , sneakers, cotton "T" 3 years ago on spontaneous hike :)--no gear with me-tramping near guys in full glacier gear, weird jim

That is a funny image. (When we climbed we left at 12:30 AM and it was too dark to see anyone else.) We were thinking of checking out Zig-Zag and Tom, Dick, Harry, but then were too tired after our climb. Might have been more tempted if T-D-H was not a ski area. It would have been fun to say "Yes, we climbed Tom, Dick and Harry, but not just any Tom, Dick and Harry." I suppose that's a common joke.

Latest posts