Origin of the ''Blue Line''

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Recently, I asked about the Blue Line here: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4281

Today, while reading the forward to Footsteps Through The Adirondacks by Nina H. Webb I came upon this:

''...,on an Adirondack map appended to his annual report of survey for the year 1872, he inscribed a thin blue line which he said in the text,''may be of value in the determination of the area of forest which it it necessary to preserve in order to protect...the sources of the Hudson.''

Still quoting,
''It wasn't until 1892 that when an official blue line was fully legislated.''

Allthough I wouldn't have known who ''he'' was (would have picked him out of a multiple choice list :) )I suppose everybody here does.

Last edited:
Neil said:
. . .
Allthough I wouldn't have known who ''he'' was (would have picked him out of a multiple choice list :) )I suppose everybody here does.

Yup.

G.

Neil said:

Duhhh ... I dunno. Give us a clue or two. Was it Henry Wallace Thoreau, Wendell Wilkie, Peakbagr, Grumpy ... come on, a little help here ... I'm Adk history impaired. :confused: :)

So now the hockey dad who'd never heard of the Blue Line is the expert, eh? :)

Chapter 17 of Forest and Crag gives a nice little summary of Verplanck Colvin's work. Just breezing through the chapter though, I see no mention of the thin blue line. Interesting though that he identified Lake Tear of the Clouds as the source of the Hudson. Sounds like he really loved mountains ... they should name one after him! :D

Mark S said:
......Interesting though that he identified Lake Tear of the Clouds as the source of the Hudson. Sounds like he really loved mountains ... they should name one after him! :D

And you know what else.......... He an some other clown name Billy Nye also got lost coming down Marcy in September 1872 and wound up on top of Gray Peak, and are credited with the first ever recorded summit of that peak.

Gee, If Colvin get's a mountain, maybe this Nye fella ought to get one too (we'll just make it a littler one). :D

Hmm, can you say Deja vu. I'm with rtrimarc, the "he" is indeed Colvin.

Last edited:
And here I thought it was a reference to an old cop show ... or was it a novel?

Holy moly, this thread IS old. PB - why revive it now?

I have been looking at all of the NY based older threads. I'm trying to selectively revive some that might have some interest to newer members or currency to longer term members.