Osprey talon 33...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
OK, a spinoff of the REI Dividend thread...

Since I can't buy the GPS, I'm thinking of using my divident to supplement my ancient $30 Lowe Alpine Contour 30 daypack I've used since the days of ancient rome with a spiffy new Osprey Talon 33.

Anybody use this, I like how it's skinny (good for bushwacking), no mesh pockets to collect spruce needles and looks pretty nice, I know a bunch of folks who sing the praises of Osprey packs in general and it's blue.

What say you, old chap? Yay or nay?

Jay :cool:

Jay,

I have 3 Ospreys. They are comfortable and great carrying packs. 1 Simplex(panel loader, very small and simple) and 2 Atmos packs ( 1 is a panel loader and the other is a top loader with a full outside accessible zipper).

Alan

I can only speak for the Atmos line for myself. I have a 25 & 65. Though there may be some complaints about bursting seams when full, I've learned that not attempting to overstuff alleviates that problem. They have both been sturdy and dependable. They ride real nice and personally I would vouch for them.

I thought I had the only surviving Lowe Alpine Countour 30. . . . and its still a great summer pack.

I wanted a larger pack for winter use and after shopping around and trying several on, I got the Osprey Atmos 50. It has more than enough room (profiled as a weekend backpacking pack) for my winter day-use, and it extremely comfortable. In fact, it's the most comfortable pack I've ever owned. The mesh back is nice since it ventilates and snow does not accumulate and melted ice water does not drain down into my.... uh ....below my waist.

Hi Joe, aha! I've used my Lowe for a winter pack for quite a long time, winter day trips, ski carrier, snowshoe carrier. Until I bought my Dakine and started doing longer winter trips.

The Contour runner is about 1400ci and the Talon 33 is about 1900 for the s/m so it'll be a bit bigger. My contour runner is red with black sides and a mesh front pocket and side pockets..

Maybe we should form a contour runner club. :p

Jay

"The mesh back is nice since it ventilates and snow does not accumulate and melted ice water does not drain down"

That ventilation space means and icy and frozen pack doesn't go onto my back in winter and it feels great in the summer. They should get an award for design with the Atmos ventilation and carrying comfort.

Peakbagr said:
"The mesh back is nice since it ventilates and snow does not accumulate and melted ice water does not drain down"

That ventilation space means and icy and frozen pack doesn't go onto my back in winter and it feels great in the summer. They should get an award for design with the Atmos ventilation and carrying comfort.

I totally agree, I sweat like a hog at a processing plant and that's the main reason I shifted to the Atmos series (yet I investigated all Osprey's lines) and have not regretted it one bit.

Peakbagr said:
Jay,

I have 3 Ospreys. They are comfortable and great carrying packs. Alan
Me too. Osprey Daylight is a great 3 season pack when you don't need all your winter gear, pretty cheap too. I also have the Switch 40 for winter, excellent. This is a technical winter pack with integrated hydro bladder techno stuff that I don't use, but it's a great winter pack. Also have the Aether for the large loads.

The Talon looks like it's built like the Daylight, which is to say - not overbuilt to be that light; thin shoulder straps and belt, etc. I'm sure it's a great pack but you'll know if you've over-loaded it. The Switch would be more appropriate if you're going with gear for a real winter hike.

I've used the Osprey stratos 24 this winter, and am very pleased with it. I'm sure you will not be disappointed with the Talon 33.

Chip, I will still use my Dakine Guide for more serious winter pursuits, the Talus would be a 3+ seasons pack.

Thanks for all the insight. The Talon has been purchased! :)

Jay

Last edited:
Osprey

Nothing original to say here..we are pretty much in agreement...I have been using a Atmos 35 in the summer and a Atmos 50 in the winter..durable..comfortable..light weight..seemingly indestructable..everything works on these packs....

Speaking of Osprey's - I just bought a Stratos 24 today with part of my REI dividend. While I have several packs, this is my first Osprey, and decided last fall that I needed a pack with one of those mesh panels against my back in warm weather instead of the conventional padding.

One of the things I like is that you can hang a bladder in the cavity between the mesh and the pack itself. That seems to create a better center of gravity.

It's too small to be my winter pack, but hope it becomes my warm weather pack. I also really like the zippered compartments on the waistband.

Compared it to a similar model REI and a Gregory. This one seemed to fit a bit better. REI, for the money, usually makes for unbeatable value. But since dividends are kinda like 'free' money, I opted for the quality materials & workmanship of a top tier pack maker.

Last edited:
In hot weather, putting the bladder in the air-space will warm the water faster than in the pack, and cut down on air flow somewhat. But it gives you back some space inside for those longer excursions. I did it only one time - on the three Bonds from LW trip where I carried more than usual.

The reason Ospreys "fit" so well is that mesh conforms, somewhat, to your back better than a rigid-backed pack. That said, I knew that I had the bladder there. I can't say enough good things about mine. Keep in mind though I've only owned Ospreys, but I spent 30+ hours researching and testing various packs.

Tim