Outdoor Research - customer service question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of OR products and have said so here on the board. I own a lot of their products and OR's customer service has been phenomenal over the years
I have a repair question and left contact info on email and vmails 2 weeks with no response.
Even spoke with receptionst who said she'd pass my inquiry to CSR.
Anyone know if something's going on with OR ?

Thanks,
Alan

I called OR on the 17th of Dec. and spoke with a CR rep. He told me that the damaged items (Croc. Gaiters coming unthreaded on inside by the buckle and the velcro toe flap not "velcroing") were absolutely covered by their warranty. He said he would send a new pair right out and when they got here to send mine back.
Got them two days later. Great service, so not sure why you haven't heard. If you want I can PM you the name of the rep and his number.
They had this kind of service last spring on a pair of low gaiters that broke on my wife.
Ken

I had the same experience as Ken did with my low gaiters and my crocodiles toes are not "velcroing" (I like that as a verb, btw, I'm going to use it on my kids.. "VELCRO YOUR BUTT TO THE CHAIR UNTIL YOUR HOMEWORK IS DONE." ;)

Tim

OR has always been tops for customer service in my book. So good I started a thread a while back about one pair of their tall gaiters that didn't fit well.
Ended up speaking with the product design mgr. The gaiters were not tall enough and couldn't cinch down tight enough about the calves to keep them slipping down. We wanted me to provide measurements of how much higher they should be and how much more play in adjustment they needed to be. I emailed him the dimensions and they built me a custom pair. Only cost, sending back my many season, well used other pair. A short time later the custom pair appeared in the mail box.
Why I don't want to send them in for repair - I won't end up with the same fit with new ones. All I'm looking for in about 12 sq inches of cordura to sew over the seams myself. Unfortunately the product manager has moved on to another company.

Lrobi, would very much appreciate the contact info. Pls look for a PM.

Tim, I've burned out 2 pr of the low gaiters in the last 4 years. Called OR each time to get the under arch strap to sew on a replacement and they insisted it was a warranty item and sent new pair. I didn't expect this kind of wear to be covered, just wanted to do the work myself.

Thanks,
Alan

I think I had similar experience last year. I simply sent an e-mail hoping that this would start a return process but got no response. Then I called, got real person on the line and the return and exchange was a piece of cake. My mitten liners were coming apart at the seams. It was an easy and free replacement.

Last edited:
Previous interactions with their customer service were 'brag-able' examples of how to interact with customers.
This is an anomoly leading me to wonder what's up.
Calls used to route you to a que, and in a minute someone would come on the line and always be helpful.
Now it's 'leave your phone number and we'll get right back to you' ....and they don't.

Alan

PM sent Alan.

Tim, based on my years with children/students you know that most of them are far more like the gaiter toe issue we have had, and NOT VELCROING! Good luck with the "homework velcroing". :)
Ken