Outdoorsy Gifts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Does anybody know of any companies that sell gifts that relate to SPECIFIC mountains, trails, parks, etc?

For example.....
(1) www.mountainclimb.com sells pewter replicas of USGS & GIS summit markers for many popular summits (i.e. Monadnock, Washington, Rainier, etc.) They look to be nice quality.
(2) Steve Smith @ the Mountain Wanderer store occassionally sells cairns with custom-designed trail signs. These are made by a local artisan (are these sill being made?)
(3) Souvenir medallions of national parks, popular mountains/hikers, etc.: http://hikeamerica.com/story.html

Anybody else aware of any other products like these? Any other souvenirs that are specific to a certain mountain, trail, etc.? How about mini-sculptures of mountain ranges? (i.e. I'd love to buy a 6-inch mini sculpture of Katahdin, Mt. Whitney, Delicate Arch or Devil's Tower, for instance)

Not really interested in t-shirts, patches, hats, stickers, magnets etc. Looking more for tangible things for a house or desk.

Last edited:
(2) Steve Smith @ the Mountain Wanderer store occassionally sells cairns with custom-designed trail signs. These are made by a local artisan in his store(are these sill being made?)
Steve still had a few in the store last time I was there. He also has the relief maps available...not nearly as nice as a model/sculpture of a range, but a similar idea. Frankly if you find a place that sold such sculptures I'd be very tempted. Katahdin obviously; Moosilauke might be nice as a semi-isolated massif, the Pemi...

roadtripper,

I purchased one of the replica cairns at Steve's store a few years ago and it's an awesome keepsake (I've got the Lafayette one). Somebody told me that the guy who made them (cant remember his name) doesn't do it anymore, or at least makes them very rarely. I'd call Steve and ask him though.

Maybe you could try eBay and enter search terms like "mountain" or "Katahdin" or the like?

bob

Dentonfabrics - I already have one :D. I love the thing. I was just wondering what other similiar-type gifts like this can be found.

As far as I can see, there aren't many keepsake items related to our favorite mountains and trails. Seems like there's a market for it, so it's odd to me.

Last edited:
One thing that I've done is to collect rocks from everyplace I've hiked and I've built my own cairn in my backyard. I'll take a rock (something about double-fist size, preferably flat) from a summit or a trail or a trailhead or from a river I've fished, write it's original location and date on the rock with a paint stick, and put it on the pile, which is almost 4 feet high now. Every once in awhile, I'll grab a rock from my cairn to see where it came from, and the memories come rushing back. It's kind of like keeping a hiking journal, except it really is written in stone.
I've seen your homepage, roadtripper. You'd have one helluva collection by now!

Careful there, and I'm only being semi-serious. There are places that forbid you from taking rocks from the landscape. In Newfoundland, one place had signs all over the place not to remove any rocks that were found.

Careful there, and I'm only being semi-serious. There are places that forbid you from taking rocks from the landscape. In Newfoundland, one place had signs all over the place not to remove any rocks that were found.
... yeah, I know, we have a real shortage of rocks here in New England :rolleyes:

I know! That's the Tablelands in Newfoundland. I didnt take any rocks from there. Imagine getting busted at the border for rock smuggling?

There is a real problem with people taking petrified wood (a kind of rock) from Petrified Forrest NP and fossils from parks in general. In Hawaii, they tell visitors that it is bad luck to take rocks or coral home (and have a steady stream of rocks being sent back by those who have had second thoughts...).

Doug

Acadia National Park has been busting folks for taking rocks from the beaches. If you are familiar with rocks that have been in the rough surf for quite awhile they tend to get polished real smooth.