Owl's Head-Flags on the 48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dms

Reaction score
I will be heading to the "true" summit of OH on 9-11-05 as part of the Flags on the 48. I want to get an early start, I will probably use the Black Pond bw route. Anyone interested in joining me, please let me know.

Just wondering but is that considered a permitted use under the wilderness regulations hope the ranger with lots of time on his hands doesn't see you :D

uh oh

book'em danno!!! i'll come bail you out!!!
i ain't sane nuffin' till i seen my brief (lawyer)!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
(cockney slang)

Variocana said:
Just wondering but is that considered a permitted use under the wilderness regulations hope the ranger with lots of time on his hands doesn't see you :D

It is. Group size is under the limits and no trace is left.
:)

No doubt about the no trace and group size MJ. So far the group is me! I promise to step lightly. And of course I've got post'r boy to bail me out if things go bad!

dms said:
No doubt about the no trace and group size MJ. So far the group is me! I promise to step lightly. And of course I've got post'r boy to bail me out if things go bad!

Dr Wu and I will start chanting "The whole world is watching!" at about 11 AM as a pre-emptive measure. I hope it helps.

Thanks Barb!! It's a cold cruel world out there on OH. Crying out loud, no one really knows where the summit is! I've got to travel a long ways to an uncertain destination, I need all the help I can get. Guess I'll fly the flag as I march along the the whole ridge!

Actually, since virtually nobody goes to the alleged "real summit", being at the spot where the cairn and sign used to be would probably be the better place to encounter any other hikers who may be up there either for Flags or just peakbagging.

Thanks Doctor, but I am a hardcore bushwacker, only 14 to go to finish the NE 3k list. This will be my 6th trip to OH, my first trip was in 1984 with Gene Daniell. In fact, as I sit here typing this, I am studying my old trusty South Twin quad trying to figure out my approach and descent routes!

Sounds great; have fun! We bushwhacked down the north slope to 13 Falls so that we could go out over Galehead when we measured the "true summit" of OH to be 30 ft higher with a trusty surveying altimeter....

Thanks for the info Doctor. I plan to have 3 separate altimeter measurements, I'll let you know what I get for results. OH is a probably the least appreciated 4k peak, not to mention the least crowded!

Just keep in mind that anyone heading there for Fot48 will expect the flag in the "traditional" summit location, so if you head off to bushwhack please leave the flag and a copy of the mission statement there for anyone to see.

Dang - I just realized that the mission statement handout I made up does NOT mention that this is a leave-no-trace event. You might want to pen that on there yourself so nobody thinks the flag was abandoned there, and realizes it will be retrieved and removed at 2pm.

No problem. All of my exploring will be complete before noon. I'll be there to greet the throngs!

Starting at 8am and all your exploring will be done by noon? You're gonna be haulin' on the trail!
:)

Thanks again!