Owl's Head From Lincoln Woods - 7/8/6 - Info please

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Laurie has picked Owl's head for her next NH peak. We're going to try to start at about 6:00 AM from the Lincoln Woods trailhead. Anyone who wants to join us is welcome. We hike at a moderately fast pace.

She wants to go up from the South. (When I did Owl's head, I took the shorter, but more elevation gain route from Galehead Hut).

I've read a lot of trip reports from the past few years. But I'd like to know what to expect from the Lincoln Woods route from anyone who has been there lately. According to the map, the first 4.5 miles only rise about 500-600 feet, correct? So half of it is essentially flat. Is it best to stay on the trails, or are there herd paths that can save us considerable time and mileage? (We're no strangers to bushwhacking). Do the streams along the way usually have water?

Once we cross the Lincoln Brook, I'll be on the lookout for the slide and/or a herd path. Are there any obvious signs or markers to watch out for? Also, once up at the top, I guess we have to go a little further than when I did it several years ago, right? Is there currently a sign or cannister? (I know this is a somewhat controversial topic, so if you want to PM me, feel free).

Any other hints and tips are welcome! :D

The entire trail, up to the slide, is pretty flat. The stream crossings can be quite interesting, especially when it's been wet like it has now. You might want to bring a pair of sandles for the last two crossings.

The last time I did it the side trail to the base of the slide was very obvious, and had a big cairn in the middle of the trail marking it. The Forest Service (or at least a few of the local rangers) have been enforcing Wilderness Area rules preventing signage on non-maintained trails. Please, let's not turn this thread into that argument again.

Still, the start of the slide is quite obvious. Keep an eye on the map and know when the last stream crossing comes. From the top of the slide the herd path onward is also pretty obvious. The true summit isn't really where most of us have stopped in years past. I don't know the state of the herd path from the old false summit to the new true summit.

-dave-

Even with no sign or cairn, the base of the "trail" to the slide is fairly obvious, also you will see a change in the character of the treadway if you go beyond the slide trail, not many hikers go beyond this point. The herd path to the true summit is faint but obvious. There are some fairly thick areas, but just stick to the crest of the ridge and you'll find the small cairn which marks the summit. Assuming our ranger friend has not taken it down.

While the trail is longer than the black pond bushwhack, it's so flat to theslide you can make really good time,it's about the only set of trails where it is as easy (IMO) as walking around your block at home, well a 15 mile bolck with a slide you have to go up & down. :D

Ok, so far so good! Thanks!

I looked at the "Cheap Sleeps" thread and only found one choice for Lincoln, the "White Mountain Motel". It looks like a perfectly good place, but I'd appreciate another opinion or a recommendation for another place, not that I don't trust my buddie MM! :D

Tom Rankin said:
I looked at the "Cheap Sleeps" thread and only found one choice for Lincoln, the "White Mountain Motel". It looks like a perfectly good place, but I'd appreciate another opinion or a recommendation for another place, not that I don't trust my buddie MM! :D
There are several [USFS?] campgrounds along the Kanc Hwy.

Doug

<mod had>
Moved back to Trips and Events. Tom is looking for folks to join him on this trip, not just info. :)

-dave-
</mod hat>

The crossings might be minimized by bushwhacking up along the west side of Franconia Falls, where it still can get a little wet if you stay close to the river, or from Black Pond. That just leaves Lincoln Brook to cross.

Many people do this as a long dayhike but there are some very nice tentsites along the Lincoln Brook which, at least a few years ago, were legal.

Stan said:
The crossings might be minimized by bushwhacking up along the west side of Franconia Falls, where it still can get a little wet if you stay close to the river, or from Black Pond. That just leaves Lincoln Brook to cross.

Many people do this as a long dayhike but there are some very nice tentsites along the Lincoln Brook which, at least a few years ago, were legal.

A long day hike it will be! :D

Thanks for the info.

You can usually count on too much water in the brooks. In all but the driest weather, there is a spring near the top of the slide.

I have found that either the Black Pond or Franconia Falls bushwhack is faster than the trail, at least I was able to do the bushwhack faster than people who passed me on the trail were able to go the long way. The beaver pond area near the FB/LB trail jct is mosquito heaven, one of the few places I've hiked wearing a full-length mosquito net. And if you love bushwhacking, heading E down the ridge from 4025 is the fastest way yet.

Tom Rankin said:
Ok, so far so good! Thanks!

Lincoln's about a twenty minute drive. Add on another ten minutes and you're in the Franconia Notch area. The road is lined with motels and campsites. We usually stay at the Franconia Notch Motel because they have cabins and we like the owner, but there are many other choices, all of which are about the same price.

I assume from your post it is July 8th for the hike? If so, I would be interested. I have done the Bonds and Zealand from that trail and did the loop out to the falls and back, but never went to the summit of Owls and need to get it in to finish the 48.

Having company on the long walk would help the time go by. I live in the general area and could meet you at the trailhead that morning, an early start would be fine and a quick pace wouldn't be an issue.

Brad

Can't add much to anything that has been said. Didn't actually climb owls head but did go to the slide. Bushwhacked by black pond and camped near there and came out by the trails. Camped another night near the last river crossing. I think time wise it was a wash (no pun intended) but the bushwhack was a lot less confusing and time consuming than trying to find a safe place to cross and then rejoin the trail. It was pretty high water when we went and it rained the whole trip. Its a very easy walk out by the trail, but long and difficult crossing when we did it. Many places to camp with a little imagination if you are of a mind to do so. Most are probably legal too. :D

Keith

Hunter said:
I assume from your post it is July 8th for the hike? If so, I would be interested. I have done the Bonds and Zealand from that trail and did the loop out to the falls and back, but never went to the summit of Owls and need to get it in to finish the 48.

Having company on the long walk would help the time go by. I live in the general area and could meet you at the trailhead that morning, an early start would be fine and a quick pace wouldn't be an issue.
Yes, July 8th is the date. 6:00 at the trailhead it is then! We'll be in a silver LeSabre, with NY plates, that has lots of hiking stickers! :D