Owls Head question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askus3

Reaction score
Warwick, NY ( 3 miles by crow from Wildcat Shelter
Can somebody who has climbed Owls Head recently confirm what I am stressing at the AMC oUtdoors forum website. Also it might be nice to state it over here. I hate to see too many people lulled into thinking they climbed to the new summit of Owls Head to find out they missed their mark. The link to the Owls Head thread is HERE!

Last edited:
I did Owls Head back in June. I got to the bench and couldn't really see much of a trail from that point on. There was a section just below the "bench summit" that looked like it could have been the old summit so I kept going until I reached the bench. As I said, I couldn't really tell if the trail went on further so I just assumed I was at the summit. After reading through the AMC forum posts and looking at the photos I realize that I didn't go far enough. Looks like I'm going back to Owls Head. Thats ok though, I sort of liked the hike. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I am very sympathetic to someone who comes so far and hikes in so far to this inconspicuous summit only upon getting back home finds out they didn't go those extra 8 minutes. That is why I am trying to spread the word, especially when someone starts sending out misinformation that compounds the disappointment. Yes, both summits are currently recognized but I know that if the new summit is taller then you want to go to it. I wonder how many people fell short after the new summit was determined to be higher and they moved the sign.

Last edited:
askus3 said:
I wonder how many people fell short after the new summit was determined to be higher and they moved the sign.
There are always people who are minimalist and will do the least amount required, who will stop at the old summit because it counts even though they know the new one is higher. This even makes sense if you are trying to set a speed record.

Your goal seems to be to inform people how to recognize which summit is which and let them make the choice. I don't see why anyone should object to that.

I didn't realize Owls head had a "new" summit. When did mother nature change her mind? She must be like the wife who always wants to rearrange the furniture. :rolleyes:

Roy: I know you are commending me and not objectiong to what I stated, but I don't agree with your statement that states that people are minimalist. If they are willing to hike all that way in to climb Owl's head. I think they are willing to walk (bushwack) another eight minutes of relatively flat ground to claim their summit. It is just that they aren't aware that the summit has moved (see ColdRiverRun's post) or with a large cairn and a bench they just figure they are there. From the old summit point it looks like the highest point around and it was assumed that way for many years, so they just don't persevere to look beyond the obvious. So I am crusading to clarify this so those making the trip go the extra yardage to complete the mission and bag their prize. I also am sorry to disappoint those that thought they were there, although I am aware that the old peak counts. Just because it counts doesn't mean those that climb the peak don't want to go to the new summit, especially when they are that close. Lastly, I did not get the impression that anyone is objecting to my post and thread. I am just trying to enlighten.

Last edited:
So how do you get to the "new" summit? When I was at the bench I didn't really see anything that would suggest going on to the "true" summit.

Owl's Head has an alleged new, higher summit. While the FTFC recognizes either summit for the patch, there is no other official recognition for the other bump. A number of people with GPSes advocate it as higher in elevation than the previous location of the summit cairn and sign; however, I do not know of any governmental or professional survey of the summit ridge to confirm one way or the other.

I'm sure this will all get resolved eventually, and of course some will find it fun to go to the alternate bump (I have, on my 3rd trip up there), but until/unless it's officially the summit, or the only recognized location by the FTFC, nobody should be made to feel disappointed/shortchanged for not going there, nobody should be made to worry about whether they found the right spot or not if they're peakbagging for their patch, and I don't think anyone should be criticized for not going to the second bump.

How many people step off trail for South Carter? This is at least described in the WMG. What about pounding around near the trail on Willey? North Twin has a sign at the trail junction, complete with a cairn, yet walking to to the viewpoint the trail CLEARLY is higher than the cairn behind you. Wildcat A has a pair of converging herd paths that lead to an obvious high spot. Did you stand on the pointy rock on Adams with the pin sticking out? The list goes on. If you find a USGS survey marker, at least then you are pretty much assured you've found the summit.

Owl's Head is really only different because there isn't really an accepted, permanent, and maintained summit marker of any kind (or even a trail). The debate about Owl's Head will go on for a long time and the AMC 4000-footer committee has repeatedly demonstrated that it doesn't have a strong opinion about the matter.

For the record, I went to the old summit of Owl's Head and I can live with that for the purpose of claiming my AMC 4000-footer patch. Should I go back, I will make an effort to find the new summit.

Tim

Kaseri: Just continue in the direction you were going to get to the old summit and you will follow herd paths to the new summit.

Michael J: Hear! Hear! I applaud your post. Point expressed very well. I couldn't have said it any better.

MichaelJ said:
Owl's Head has an alleged new, higher summit. ... I do not know of any governmental or professional survey of the summit ridge to confirm one way or the other.
The USGS Map has a spot elevation "x 4025". This is the only "governmental or professional survey of the summit ridge " This is at the new summit, based on many GPS routes from numerous folks published here, as well as sight lines to ridges.

Both this and Scar Ridge are discussed in this thread (here)

GPS (both consumer and professional variety) are usually considered about 3 times as accurate in location vs. elevation, with an uncertainty of 10 - 30 feet when satellite reception is good. So it's quite easy to distinguish the location of the old and new summit, even if you might doubt the elevation readings.

Since the AMC has traditionally accepted the spot elevation mark from USGS maps (see Scar Ridge debate of several years back), this is the reason folks with fancy equipment trudged up a few years back and got readings of about 30' higher (see this thread by Dr. Dasypodidae)

So it's not just the guys taking elevation readings ("unofficial"), it's the USGS map ("official").

Last edited:
I don't own a GPS. I'm probably not the only one either. It isn't a requirement to get the AMC 4000 footer patch.

There is simply no official, permanent physical / visual evidence that you are at the summit. Plus, the elevation at this so-called new summit is higher than 4025'. 4033' I believe. Bob & Geri have a photo of their GPS on the summit here:

http://www.rbhayes.net/owl.html

Tim

Last edited:
bikehikeskifish said:
There is simply no official, permanent physical / visual evidence that you are at the summit.

Right on. None of the landmarks that Askus3 has described - sign, mushroom, bench, size of cairn - were present when I summited Owl's Head last October. In comparing his pictures and mine, the clearest indication that we settled on the same "new summit" is the prominent red/orange root under the cairn.

I'm all in favor of trying to share the information, but Owl's Head markings are pretty ephemeral.

bikehikeskifish said:
Plus, the elevation at this so-called new summit is higher than 4025'. 4033' I believe.
No.

The error bars on that 4033 ft should be +- 50-100 ft. and could be much worse. The USGS surveys are more accurate.

One should also note that the EPE on a consumer GPS is not trustworthy--it makes some best-case assumptions which may not be true in any particular situation.

If you want sub-meter accuracies, you need survey-grade equipment operated by qualified surveyors.

Doug

Papa Bear said:
The USGS Map has a spot elevation "x 4025". This is the only "governmental or professional survey of the summit ridge " This is at the new summit, based on many GPS routes from numerous folks published here, as well as sight lines to ridges.

Both this and Scar Ridge are discussed in this thread (here)

GPS (both consumer and professional variety) are usually considered about 3 times as accurate in location vs. elevation, with an uncertainty of 10 - 30 feet when satellite reception is good. So it's quite easy to distinguish the location of the old and new summit, even if you might doubt the elevation readings.

Since the AMC has traditionally accepted the spot elevation mark from USGS maps (see Scar Ridge debate of several years back), this is the reason folks with fancy equipment trudged up a few years back and got readings of about 30' higher (see this thread by Dr. Dasypodidae)

So it's not just the guys taking elevation readings ("unofficial"), it's the USGS map ("official").

Thanks for posting the first link, Papa Bear, as after stirring up the Owls Head hornet's nest with my Paulin surveying altimeter in June 2005, I headed West for the summer and never read this new thread. I did read my surveying accomplice Weedhopper's (we are both geologists) final post on the thread that I started for Owls Head (your second link), but I never posted a reply, as I had nothing new to add at that time (for example, my GPS lat/long data were lousy). I did go back to Owls Head solo with my surverying altimeter in 2006, and thought that I posted those results (I seem to recall about a 5' to 10 ft vs. 15' to 25' differential between the two summits; I walked and measured twice between the two bumps over the course of about 40 minutes, hence the tighter range), but cannot seem to find any of those results posted using the VFTT search function.

So, now I am wondering if Spencer, DougPaul, and others followed up with a multi-instrument topographic survey of the ridge on Owls Head, because if they did, somehow I missed it. Although DougPaul's leveling hose filled with beer idea sounds like fun, I think that a simple hand level would be sufficient, but I keep forgetting to take one with me whenever I hike Owls Head (six or seven times now since I last carried my surveying altimeter up there!).

I agree that a small handheld GPS, even using differential post-processing, will probably not resolve the elevation difference between the bumps issue, let alone the actual elevation of the ridge on Owls Head. A Trimble navigation system might work, as suggested by Spencer, at least for the elevation difference between the bumps, if not for determining the actual elevations of the ridge. Larry Garland and his assistants used a Trimble to nail down the lat and long of trail junctions and other points of interest for the AMC topo maps, but I believe that he translated elevation data from USGS topo maps.

Since 2005, hundreds of folks have hiked to the more northerly bump on Owls Head, opening up the once difficult to follow herd paths, so using a hand level will be much easier now (one obviously uses a hand level in a series of line-of-sight measurements). Summit signs and cairns on both summits continue to come and go as hikers play cat and mouse games with the USFS rangers.

From the long thread at the first link, I do not agree with Papa Bear and DougPaul that the newer 7.5' topo maps (constructed by machines with minimal human oversight) are more accurate than the old 15' topo maps (constructed by topographers using aerial photos and transfer scopes in USGS laboratories at the Denver Federal Center). For the past 40 years of mapping that I have done on the ground across the U.S., especially in Maine and New Hampshire, I and others have found again and again that the elevation data are much more accurate on the older 15' topo maps than the newer 7.5' topo maps. We commonly map surficial geologic features that have less relief than a map's contour interval, but I am continually amazed how the old 15' maps sometimes pick up some of the larger of these features whereas the newer 7.5' maps do not. I am not including Brad Washburn's topo map of the Presidential Range with these newer 7.5' maps, of course, as Washburn's maps are the most accurate on the planet, as they should be considering the time that was spent surveying on the ground with a laser theodolite.

Thus, although all USGS topo maps are constructed from aerial photos, I feel that those from the 1960-1980s were not done nearly as carefully, when towards the end the USGS made a rushed effort to complete provisional 7.5' topo coverage across the U.S. for political reasons without hiring new mapping personnel as the old topographers retired. The USGS 7.5' maps were generally never ground-truthed in areas such as the Whites, although the USFS has re-published many of the these maps as if they were.

Although the 1967 or 1995 (USFS) editions of the South Twin 7.5' map were not provisional, like for example the 1987 Crawford Notch 7.5' map, my guess is that neither the 2023' spot elevation on the old Franconia 15' map nor the rounded off 2025' spot elevation on the South Twin 7.5' maps for Owls Head were ever surveyed, but rather "guess-timated," as they are shown in italics like most spot elevations. Compare these spot elevations with surveyed elevations that are not italicized, such as those with bench marks at two locations near the Littleton Reservoir in the northwest corner of the South Twin 7.5' map.

So, although I doubt that we will ever resolve the actual elevations of bumps on the Owls Head ridge (maybe they are not even over 4000 ft!), we should be able to confirm which bump is highest without a laser theodolite.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Thanks for posting the first link, Papa Bear, ... I did go back to Owls Head solo with my surverying altimeter in 2006, and thought that I posted those results (I seem to recall about a 5' to 10 ft vs. 15' to 25' differential between the two summits; I walked and measured twice between the two bumps over the course of about 40 minutes, hence the tighter range), but cannot seem to find any of those results posted using the VFTT search function.
I found a this post where you mention a 7-15 foot differential:
11/29/2006 - Response to Rejean's TR

Papa Bear said:
I found a this post where you mention a 7-15 foot differential:
11/29/2006 - Response to Rejean's TR

Thanks, Papa Bear. I knew that the differential was less on my second visit, but could not remember by exactly how much. Not sure why I was so definitive that the ridge is higher than 4000 ft in the last sentence of my 2006 post to Rejean's thread, as I do not have any justification for that.

Anyhoo, I am getting behind in my ascents of Cabot, Isolation, and Owls Head if I am ever to catch Ed Hawkins :D , so I would be interested in taking part in a surveying extravaganza on Owls Head! :)

askus3 said:
IYes, both summits are currently recognized but I know that if the new summit is taller then you want to go to it.
I did not want to :D . My first time up we made a half hearted attempt, but that was when the whole "new summit" thing was fresh and it literally was more like a bushwack. We gave up after a few minutes because we were tired, hungry and wanted to get back and break camp for the long walk out. The second time was over a year later when the heard path was well developed. I was in a group with one guy (yo MtnPa, whassup buddy! :D ) who KNEW exactly how to get there, but out of 7 to 8 of us only one cared enough to go to the "new summit".

I have no problem with you spreading the word so those who do not know WILL know. But I think it is a leap to assume everyone wants to go to an insignificant bump that may or may not be higher, and is surrounded in such a cloudy haze of understanding the AMC says "yeah, either or is fine" that no one can even agree, even if they do know about it. :D :D

Last edited:
Reactions: dug
askus3 said:
I don't agree with your statement that states that people are minimalist. If they are willing to hike all that way in to climb Owl's head. I think they are willing to walk (bushwack) another eight minutes of relatively flat ground to claim their summit. It is just that they aren't aware that the summit has moved...
I said that some people are minimalist and I think you will see some of their responses here. There are also people who are compulsive which may not be better :)

askus3 said:
I did not get the impression that anyone is objecting to my post and thread. I am just trying to enlighten.
There is one guy who comes awfully close, he sounds like he was feeling minimalist that day but is normally compulsive :)

bikehikeskifish said:
If you find a USGS survey marker, at least then you are pretty much assured you've found the summit.
Not true at all, survey markers are placed where there's good visibility and maybe flat rock for a temporary tower. Most are not at the actual highpoint. For a quiick example, the survey marker on Osceola is not even within the highest contour.