Owl's Head - Saturday 11/17 5:30am from Lincoln Woods

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
We're going to try this for the third time -- hopefully it is a charm. The one major change is we're leaving at the very early hour of 5:30am. From the last attempt, here is the itinerary:

On the trail at 5:30 AM from Lincoln Woods. Thanks to the outstanding planning skills of BIGEarl, the final plan is this:

From Lincoln Woods:

Wilderness Trail to Black Pond Trail
Black Pond Trail to Black Pond
Bushwhack to Lincoln Brook Trail
Lincoln Brook Trail to Owls Head Herd Path
OH Heard Path to the summits (over the current/old and head to the new)
Back out to Lincoln Brook Trail
Fisherman's Bushwhack to Franconia Falls
Continue downstream (Franconia Brook Trail) to Wilderness Trail
Wilderness Trail back to Lincoln Woods

Distance & elevation should be approximately 16 miles and 2,900 feet
Book time comes in at 9hr. 30min.

We should be able to hike at a book time pace going in with no problem. On the way out we should be able to maintain a much better pace, perhaps 30% under, which should save ~1 - 1.5 hours.

Bottom line, I believe we're looking at around 8hr. 30min. plus time spent on the summit, breaks, and Franconia Falls visit.

Start at 5:30am and we should be out, or nearly out around 3:00pm. (depending on breaks)

Bring a headlight for the start. There are four of us going so far, so there is room for six more.

Given the two prior mis-starts because of weather, I'll post an updated go/no go on Friday by 9pm. PM me with an e-mail and phone number if you want to be contacted directly, or are planning to come and wish to be in contact with us that morning.

BIGEarl and Tim

Last edited:
For your planning purposes, as of 2:30pm on Friday, this is a go. It is likely the route will change slightly to follow the so-called Brutus Bushwhack up rather than take the slide, and based on if/where the ice level is, we may take the slide back down.

"Three bushwhacks to Owl's Head"

If for whatever reason this gets called off, notice will be given by 9pm tonight, however, absent further updates, we roll at or before 5:30am tomorrow.

Tim & BIGEarl