Owl's Head, Tecumseh 3-5-13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombadil

Reaction score
3-5-13
Owl's Head:
Barebooted all the way to the base of the Brutus Whack. With the apparent high volume of snowshoers recently and the freeze/thaw cycles the track is super firm down low. Some of the mudpits are beginning to open and all crossings are bridged. The last crossing looked and felt a bit weak and may go in the near future. Soft wet snow up to about 3500 where the recent snowfall was loose and powdery so you would have a hard time in bareboots on the upper part of the mountain. The Lincoln Woods walk out was a bit awkward in the ATV tracks since Lincoln Woods turned to mashed potato snow in the afternoon sun. Nice running into Dick for the second time in as many weeks and kudos on the fast hike!

Tecumseh:
Took the Mt. Tecumseh Trail from Waterville Valley and to save my calves I used snowshoes for the ascent though in the evening the snowshoe highway had refrozen nicely and would easily be barebootable. Threw the snowshoes on the pack and barebooted down for speed. Nice conditions for my best time thus far on the little guy, 85 minutes round-trip--not too bad after Owl's Head.

Thanks to all those that broke out these trails!
Pat
pcushing21 at yahoo dot com