Pack Suggestions Please

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
I am returning a recently purchased Kelty Agile backpack. The assembler put the stiffening rod in incorrectly and it wore a hole through the pack in a single overnighter. Backcountry.com was nice enough to accept the return and credit my account, but they do not have any other Agiles in stock. So now I need to purchase another pack in the ~5000 cu. in. range.

How do you like yours? What features do you like? What would you change? (I'll probably stick with Backcountry.com, but another manufacturer is okay.)

I am a Kelty fan, but alas I too had issues with a Kelty Agile. I wound up selling it on e-bay just to get rid of it. Not what I expected from Kelty. But my workhorse backpacking pack is an EMS Long Trail II that I LOVE. 5600 cu in, spartan with few frills, but a sturdy and wholesome pack. Unfortunately they do not make the Long Trail II anymore, but my experience with EMS brand packs would have me looking at them again should I need another.

Brian

For really big loads I use a Gregory Whitney. While the pack itself is fairly heavy the suspension system is great and holds all the weight really well. I only use this pack for trips of several days in length. I try to stick to my 3000 ci pack for overnights.

I got a pre-Marmot, Dana Designs, Arcplane TerraFlex on eBay for about $150. Full retail would have been over $400, I think -- this is from memory, four years ago. Just the name alone is huge.

It's a behemoth; and heavy (seven pounds!); and is about an inch too long for my spine...; but it's tough as nails; really carries a heavy load well; has a lot of adjustability; holds the sleeping bag inside (as opposed to externally on a frame); has a tremendous hip belt, which couples with the lid to make a fanny pack; has a bunch of external attachment points & straps (two ice-ax loops!); and won't force you to winnow your gear. It's big.

So I give it a solid A- and recommend it for multi-dayers.

I too need a new pack, a mid-sized one-nighter that I can ski with, so I'll be staying tuned on this thread. I did a heavy backpack last month in the 'DAKs and am ready to not go heavy again for another long time: sick of the weight!

For some matters of fit (like boots), I think you really need a sales-person at a brick-&-mortar place (like going to Limmer's), but I've been very lucky with eBay, so don't forget that avenue.