Park and Ride in Kingston?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pudgy_groundhog

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good place to meet up with some folks for hiking in the Catskills. Is there a park and ride in Kingston right off of 87? I thought I had heard that before, but not sure exactly where it is. Thanks!

pudgy_groundhog said:
Is there a park and ride in Kingston right off of 87?

Yes. Get off the NYS Thruway at Exit 19 and enter the traffic circle. Exit the circle onto 587 (I think it's 587, anyway, it's the only three-digit route # there). Almost immediately after getting onto 587, get right back off, driving into the park and ride lot. Exit the park and ride lot on the other side, drive back into the circle and go around to 28 west, your artery into the Catskills. It's an excellent place to meet up for Catskill hikes.

Matt

pudgy_groundhog said:
Thanks for the info!
If you're parking overnight make sure that is allowed. Also, this lot has been underwater a few times after recent high rains, so keep that in mind! :eek:

There is also a hotel/motel right there, it was a Ramada, there is also a Holiday Inn just south of the thruway traffic circle too. I find that parking/leaving a car overnight can be done stealthy in hotel parking lots.

I will generally use the larger chain ones and not a Mom and Pop kind of place, they are usually small and your car can be noticed.

Altough asking at the front desk may surprise you, I asked this past winter at the White Hart in Salisbury if I could park there for an over nighter, and theclerk said sure, she just asked for my plate number and asked me to park further in the back where the staff usually parks.

A place may not always allow it, but if you ask, they may say sure.

Catch you later...
Kevin

Last edited:
There is also a parking lot further west on Rt 28, about a 1/4 mile(?) before you get to Slide Mountain Road in Big Indian. I've met some folks there and left a car. I've even seen some folks camping there though not sure if that is legal or not. That might be more convenient for folks coming from the west..

Jay