Partner Needed for Sugarloaf, Spaulding, & Abe (Maine)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEO

Reaction score
I'm hoping to do thruhike Sugarloaf, Spaulding, & Abe this coming Saturday (the 11th), starting at CVR and ending at the trailhead to Abe's Fire Warden Trail. Obviously, this would require a car drop. I hike at a steady pace. If you're interested in joining me, please send me a PM.

if you can't arrange a car spot ...

park at the AT crossing on CVR ... walk up CVR to Caribou Pond, then walk left around the pond ...

follow the second grassy "logging road" on your left, which should lead you to within a quarter mile of the AT, near Spaulding Mtn Campsite ... easy whack uphill from there

hike trails to Abraham, then backtrack over Sugarloaf to CVR

Abraham Firewardens Trail gets pretty wet down low ... check the Carrabassett River crossing near CVR before you try this loop

I hiked Sugarloaf and Spaulding on the weekend and the Carrabassett River crossing is crazy. The CVR was so bad I didn't want to drive my car back there so we crossed the river anyway. Lets just say I've did alot of crazy things before and this was right up there. The threw hikers were getting shuttled around and climbing the ski slopes. Real stupid to cross but I don't listen real well.

Thanks for the heads up. Is there a preferred route up the ski trails of Sugarloaf?

Note that the bridge to the firewarden's trail head has "issues". See Juniper's trip report which has a link to pictures, and my comment referring to a trail conditions report about it.

Noted. Since no one else seems to be interested, I'm thinking/planning at out-and-back either via Arm's suggested route or starting and ending at the ski area.

Hey TEO, I'm heading up there after the 18th weekend, be interesting in hearing the status of West Kingfield Road, if the Carabassett levels have dropped... Have a great trip and hope its not so wet for ya!

Jay

The Carabasset was fine. I stopped by the Stratton Motel to get the latest word and the proprietor said that the board was back and it was a dry crossing. Later on Friday, just as I reached the AT/CVR crossing in my car, two hikers confirmed the info.

Re. Caribou Valley Road:

The washout section (just after the metal grate bridge?) seemed to be a slightly worse than when I was there in late May, but that might be an inaccurate memory. It took me three attempts to get over the wooden bridge that is after the metal grate bridge; my '97 Outbacks front bumper was hitting the front of the bridge--one of the holes deep enough that it created too steep of an angle. On the third attempt, I came in at a slight angle so that the troubled side was in the center of the bridge. That did the trick.

The difficulty with the bridge aside, I had no other scrapes, dings, or difficulties, which was better than I did in late May. That said, in May I was able to easily drive the 1.1 miles past the AT crossing. When I hiked it on Saturday morning, it looked to definitely be in worse shape.

Conclusion: If you have a low clearance vehicle, you should be able to make it to the metal grate bridge. If you have an Outback like vehicle, it may be wise to park just before the next wooden bridge (with the bad washouts at either end). If your a bit more daring or you have a truck, there's no reason why you shouldn't easily make it to the AT crossing.

Edit to add: on Saturday evening, I decided that the local economy could use my support, so I decided to try out the bunkroom at the Stratton Motel. Everything about the experience was great (the stuffiness of the room aside, which was not surprising nor terrible), except one major thing: the mattress. It was terrible, perhaps the worst I've ever slept on. It felt like I sank in two feet. I longed for the bed of my Suby, and considered moving to the floor. I doubt that I'll stay there again.

Last edited:
I have a '05 Outback which was 1st of the 3rd gen outbacks which has a higher ground clearance than your '97 (and any 1st or 2nd gen). However, no skidplates and no guts to this driver, I tend to be fairly cautious when in the backwoods. I'll keep that in mind. What is nice though is I'll have a copilot with me, so at least if I do dare, I will have a spotter..

Thanks so much for the info!

Jay

Arm - where does that b/w to Spalding begin??

I do not think it is that quite straightforward. "Obvious" is a subjective word. (Arm & Rup, check your PMs.) The second obvious logging road on the left is actually a rubble & gravel clearing; from the clearing there are two grassy logging roads. Is one of these two the "grassy" logging road that you refer to?

Last edited:
There are several possible old roads that cross the AT. One is this one, which is miscaptioned as a railroad grade. It's just above Orbeton Stream, and is unlabeled on Google Earth but appears connect the end of Railroad Rd to the end of Redington Rd. However, I can guarantee you would not be able to drive across the point shown in the photo.

There's also this road, which was grassy and of questionable drive-ability but as I say did have a load of puncheon material hanging out there, and then I don't have a photo but right at Perham Stream is a road that was a pretty good gravel surface.

Note that my photos are out of order here - the trail sign is just a minute past Orbeton Stream. However, the Perham road is still an hour (with full packs) south of Lone Mountain.

Latest posts