Passports for Canada (Mexico, etc) required

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
There hasn't been any discussion of this here. I'm sure those who cross the border often are aware, but for the rest of us planning flights, it's time to get a passport. If you are entering the US by car or on a cruise ship, you won't need to get a passport until the beginning of next year, but they don't mention by bike or foot.

http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=5906234&nav=15MV

Note that the passport is needed to get BACK from, not to enter Canada, although they may ask for it going in so that they won't be stuck with you not being allowed to go back.

Another reason to get your passport now, is to get it before they start imbedding tyhe RFID chip in them.

I've biked into Canada twice, they do stop you at customs but right now, it's a pot shoot whether they ask for any kind of ID at all. I've crossed the border twice on my bike, once in NY and once in Maine. Once in NY before 9/11, I was asked about items to declare and stuff but not a passport and once in ME after 9/11 I was just asked for a driver's license and a few questions. But the requirements are the same as if you're on a bike or a car so it shouldn't matter...

Jay

Hmmmmm. Would I be an outlaw, or an illegal, if I hiked Boundary Peak (ME) via the boundary swath and took a shortcut back through Quebec? I always thought that logging road gate at the border, more symbolic than secure, symbolized the friendship between our countries, especially the hiking community. Guess it might be a good idea to carry a passport, even in such remote areas.

I heard they will also be required for domestic air travel starting in 2008? anyone lese hear that? seems crazy if your not leaving the country. don't matter to me, I got one, but many don't.

As long ago as three years ago, at least United Airlines was requiring a passport for air travel to Canada. This came as a surprise to our group, because the bozos at United had not informed passengers of the policy change in advance. One of members did not have a passport, and was turned away from our flight to Vancouver at the airport. Fortunately, we were able to reroute the one person to Seattle, and then make the 6 hour round trip drive to retrieve that person to Vancouver once we were done flying.

I use my passport routinely as my ID even for domestic travel. It's good picture ID.

TCD

Stan said:
Hmmmmm. Would I be an outlaw, or an illegal, if I hiked Boundary Peak (ME) via the boundary swath and took a shortcut back through Quebec?
Stan, the best idea is to check in at customs (US and Canada) to let them know what you're doing. That way you won't have to spend time explaining it all to the Border Patrol guys when they stop you in the middle of the woods. Those guys can be kind of unreasonable at times.

interesting

Nice topic...esp the time difference between needing a passport for airports and a different time frame for land travel (2008).
I had told my sister, here in the States, that she would need a passport this year to visit us in the summer. That would be about $120 for her and her husband to visit. Needless to say they will be much relieved if they don't need to spend the extra $$ for a visit.

In reverse it gives our Canadian friends (who we are trying to tempt down here for a visit to the White mnts) an exta chance before a passport is required, which, I think, would pretty much curtail any interest they would have in coming down.

I never use it for domestic/canadian travel - though haven't been to canada in about 6 years. I am too scared to loose it! I try to avoid any hassle with immigration or customs to just do what they tell me too.

kind of off topic but...
Over the last 2 weeks, I dealt with US Immigration, Irish and British immigration - and its funny - its always the same drill. Going through the irish and british border - is pleasant and they folks are nice - when returning home - the US folks are complete jerks. I have been to europe about 10 times and this isn't a one off thing - its every trip and I say the same thing everytime - welcome home - to the rudeness. - anyone else notice this? - and I noticed this before the 9-11 event.

giggy said:
I never use it for domestic/canadian travel - though haven't been to canada in about 6 years. I am too scared to loose it! I try to avoid any hassle with immigration or customs to just do what they tell me too.

kind of off topic but...
Over the last 2 weeks, I dealt with US Immigration, Irish and British immigration - and its funny - its always the same drill. Going through the irish and british border - is pleasant and they folks are nice - when returning home - the US folks are complete jerks. I have been to europe about 10 times and this isn't a one off thing - its every trip and I say the same thing everytime - welcome home - to the rudeness. - anyone else notice this? - and I noticed this before the 9-11 event.

No... it's just YOU guy..

heheeHeeehhe :)

Jay

Stan said:
Hmmmmm. Would I be an outlaw, or an illegal, if I hiked Boundary Peak (ME) via the boundary swath and took a shortcut back through Quebec? I always thought that logging road gate at the border, more symbolic than secure, symbolized the friendship between our countries, especially the hiking community. Guess it might be a good idea to carry a passport, even in such remote areas.

Yes. The govt publishes an information pamphlet aimed towards snomobilers explaining this fact. If I remember correctly you can be fined $5000 and subject to loosing your snowmobile. Not sure if they would take your boots. :rolleyes: You do not need a passport if you do not leave the USA.

Chip said:
If you are entering the US by car or on a cruise ship, you won't need to get a passport until the beginning of next year, but they don't mention by bike or foot.

I believe the deadline for foot and bike and car travel will be pushed back to June 2009, although maybe this is still up in the air.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007701070330

http://leahy.senate.gov/press/200605/051706b.html

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

While getting a passport, or renewing it, may be good idea just in case - Homeland Security may run into some delays in implementing this policy change, particularly if some US Senators have their way, particularly Sen. Leahy. Stay tuned - many say this one ain't over by long shot.

My question is directed to all the canadian hikers out there. If and when the Governments make this official. Will it deter you from coming into the United States to hike? OR will you all get your passports and continue hiking?

1ADAM12 said:
My question is directed to all the canadian hikers out there. If and when the Governments make this official. Will it deter you from coming into the United States to hike? OR will you all get your passports and continue hiking?
I don't think it will stop frequent hikers, however what it will do, is stop the occational hiker. Why spend $50 or whatever, for something that you rarely do. For all kinds of reasons, this does not make a difference to me.

Passports

I will (sigh) get a passport, since I travel to the States for hiking, skiing, and other recreational reasons

Unfortunately, Canadian passports cost $87 and are only good for five years (kindof a double-whammy) :(

1ADAM12,

My friends and I will not be deterred in the least in visiting the U.S. to hike (or anything else for that matter) as most of us already have passports.

If you amortize the $87 cost of the passport over five years and say, 40 to 50 northeast mountain outings over that time, you can view it as an extremely modest user fee.

Even if you were visiting the U.S. only 10 times over the passport's life, that's $9 a visit, an expense not on the radar in the overall scheme of things.

On the border

Living in Bflo, we're right at the CDN border. We cross all the time - dinner or whatever. Some may have heard of the CDN ballet?? ;)

When younger, my daughter traveled daily to the sailing club for lessons. She always carried her passport (and a permission letter from us to travel with named adults). Whenever we go, we take them - it's just easier. I'm glad to see that they will be issuing a card for this purpose.

We also have a friendly water border that is frequently used. We have many friends with cottages in Canada -- we may be boating and decide to go ashore. The deal is that you need to call the Customs office when you land on CDN soil. Tell them who you are and what you are doing.

Seems like this applies to hiking over the border. As Mad Townie suggests, call ahead or make sure you pack a cell phone.

Children have special requirements - don't forget to include them. Looks like US fees are $25 for Adult passport, $20 for the card; $10/child

I don't think its that bad of an idea. I've crossed the borders so many times for free, but i'm biased because I already have a passport.

I also think its a good idea seeing that I went to Mexico and back without ANY ID. No license or anything. That just seems TOO easy.

Latest posts